Macro questions...

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I thought I'd throw it here :)

I got everything sorted out on Amazon with the sigma lens I had ordered and never received any communication or a lens from the seller... and I REALLY want to take some bee shots... But here's my dilemma...

I have a lot of "childish" fears from some psychological abuse as a child (it doesn't pertain necessarily to bees, so don't ask for any details please)... I am SOOOOO afraid that I'm going to take a picture of the bee, then it's going to sting me as I've heard has happened...

If you have taken macro shots of a bee, did it sting you? How many times have you been stung by a bee after getting a shot of one???

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I thought I'd throw it here :)

I got everything sorted out on Amazon with the sigma lens I had ordered and never received any communication or a lens from the seller... and I REALLY want to take some bee shots... But here's my dilemma...

I have a lot of "childish" fears from some psychological abuse as a child (it doesn't pertain necessarily to bees, so don't ask for any details please)... I am SOOOOO afraid that I'm going to take a picture of the bee, then it's going to sting me as I've heard has happened...

If you have taken macro shots of a bee, did it sting you? How many times have you been stung by a bee after getting a shot of one???

I've shot some bees, never been stung. Sit quietly, no sudden movements. If you leave them alone while watching quietly you should be fine. One day last spring I set a stool and my tripod next to a flowering bush that had hundreds of honey bees flying from bloom to bloom. I sat quietly inches from many bees and waited for one to land on the flower my camera/macro lens was aimed at. Got some good shots. The bees completely ignored me. Now yellow jackets and hornets are more feisty and could be more aggressive, they might need a little more space and caution. Good luck...JSD

I have taken quite a few bee pics & never been stung.

14-04.jpg

I have a bit of a fear of stingers. I can sleep with pythons and stare death in its face but stingers freak me out. I have never been stung in my life but... anyways bees are pretty tame and I know that. I wen5 out just the other day and pretty much sat right in the middle of a flower patch and set up the tripod. Bees everywhere! I was freaking out a little. But after you sit and watch them at work, they are SO involved in their daily routine they could care less. It's pretty cool to sit in Zen with them. They are amazing. Just dont sit or step on them and you shouldn't have any issues. Hope you break through.... enjoy.

Ron, just wondering if you used a teleconverter for that or just a macro lens. I cant quit get that close with a 90mm.

Sarah, one solution is to get a remote shutter release. Then you could set up your gear, focus on a flower and then trigger it from a safe distance. The obvious issue with this is doing macro work requires some fine focal adjustment. You would get a lot of missed shots but wouldn't get stung. I suggest some successive approximation w/ your fears. That is you get gradually closer and closer controlling the amount of fear your are experiencing until you're able to be around them. As others have said, if don't go in flailing and acting irrationally, they won't even notice you. Another solution would be to get a bee keepers outfit. Safe and sound.

With my 100mm macro lens at 1:1 I am 6 inchs from the bee. As a matter of fact sometimes with my lens hood on my 100mm the bee goes to fly away and goes in the lens hood and flys around like a ping pong ball! I have been stung numerous times but never will taking pictures. The bees are pretty docile while pollen hunting and you will be just fine! Now the only time you need to be concerned is if you are close to a hive. I meen within a couple of feet and trying to get hive pictures then they start getting aggresive. Bees are my favorite models for macro mostly because they let you get real close before flying away. Good luck and have fun!

I started to take some Bee photos last year after I bought a macro lens. In the beginning, I really wish I have a 180mm instead of a 100mm. :D

But after awhile, once I got used to it, it's better.

3704230962_e0ab3d2dbc.jpg

Alright, you all have made me a feel a bit better :)

I do have a wireless shutter release that I will gladly use :) My mom has an azalea bush in the front yard that the bees LOVE! I'll be setting my camera up there, hooking up the wireless release, and shooting from a distance :)

I don't mind taking 100 shots just to get 1 or 2 good ones :) lol

Wow Ron, I guess better equipment pays off thx.

Wow Ron, I guess better equipment pays off thx.

I do not know what camera you have but you say you cannot get that close with a 90mm lens, so I infer you have a DSLR to hang that on. The camera I used is considered by some to be a point & shoot but I think of it as a DSLR without the flippin mirror. I seriously doubt that my S5 is of a quality level above what you are using. The Raynox close-up conversion lens sells for about 100US$.

The trick with Macro is to nail the focus as the DOF is so damn narrow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back