TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
spidman5lqrq9.jpg

spidman9lqks7.jpg

These were taken with a Canon 400D + Tamron 90mm macro + 430ex flash
iso 100 f13 1/200 with the flash set at 1/2

poor mantis, if that spider came to my house i would probably do nothing lol. great shots

Great work - I love the second with the look on the spiders face as he = well eats the others face.
Tricky shooting as well with all that white in the shot on what looks like a bright day

Excellent captures.
Awsome details.

These were taken with a Canon 400D + Tamron 90mm macro + 430ex flash
iso 100 f13 1/200 with the flash set at 1/2

Great photos, so sharp.

I have exactly the same setup except I have a sigma 50mm macro. I have only just got my 430ex and i was wondering if you know of a guide on how to best utilize the settings.. Thanks.

Boy-Howdy! Not what I expected! I figured it was going to be a mantis munching on a spider. How big was that spider??? -- and yes, nice shots!

Great photos, so sharp.

I have exactly the same setup except I have a sigma 50mm macro. I have only just got my 430ex and i was wondering if you know of a guide on how to best utilize the settings.. Thanks.

I don't know of a guide really, expect for a general eos flash guide which has a ton of useful information
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Basically though for me with macro I set the camera on M , use 1/200 iso 100 f11/13 and set the flash on ETTL as a starting point..
I start there then make changes as necessary, like in these shots the white background was totally throwing off the metering, so changed the flash to manual as well and ended up using at either 1/2 or 1/4 power. Alternatively I could have just used FEC and gone up by about 1 1/3 stops.

It's mainly experimenting for me to see what works.

Boy-Howdy! Not what I expected! I figured it was going to be a mantis munching on a spider. How big was that spider??? -- and yes, nice shots!

Just a small jumper, and a baby mantis :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Marco.. i'll check out that link.

... Just a small jumper, and a baby mantis :)
Thanks! I thought it looked like a jumper, but my mind was see an bigger mantis, so I was tricking myself into seeing some monster of a spider... :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back