Macro using a copy stand - best set up?

15ofclubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No-nothing newbie with Panasonic FZ-20 (low range DSLR?) wanting to take macro shots of 4cm badges.

have remote shutter cable & about to buy Kaiser retrokid copy stand. (@$300 more expensive than my camera!)

Problem is camera lens is very close to photo subject. I can fill the frame from about 5cm away but then have trouble lighting using lamps (2 x 7W 5000K fluoro energy savers) From further away I can get enough light but optical zoom blurs image after 2x which hasn't even filled frame yet! Manuall focus & auto focus don't seem to work for macro.

No idea what F-stop, ISO, shutter speed to use :(

Am considering buying cheap macro lens package of Ebay, (2x, 5x, 10x) so as to be able to increase the distance from subject for lighting, or is there a better solution?:confused:

Any help appreciated:hug::

WAIT! Don't buy an expensive macro stand when an older Omega enlarger, like an Omega D2, can be converted into the same thing, at a cost of almost nothing. Back in the 1980's, before scanners, before digital,etc, I used to shoot "presentation slides" for a company...35mm slides which were simply photographs of printed graphics and charts and stuff....this was before desktop publishing and PowerPoint were really on the market....but I digress....

The slanted column of an enlarger keeps the lens centered on the baseboard as the head is raised and lowered. The Omega D2 was perfect--remove the light head and the lens and there was a *perfect*, flat cradle that fits a Nikon F3 body absolutely perfectly and parallel to the baseboard!

Perhaps another brand of enlarger would be suitable for the same purpose. I see enlargers now just being given away on Craigslist here in the USA, and on eBay the things cost almost nothing....might be worth a shot.

One on Ebay finishing tomorrow near me, enlarger missing a part so should go cheap, perfect. Column, baseboard & enlarger support bracket look very solid & in good condition, LPL so should be decent quality too. Attach a camera thread to bracket & hey presto. I already have a 'swivelly ball thing' if angle wrong.

Thanks!:thumbup:

On 'even' lighting:

An overcast day outdoors provides oodles of bright [relative to indoor] light. Cost: $US0.00.

Most reactions

Back