Macro w/ Sigma 50mm F2.8 DGMacro

Freedbaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Sigma 50mm F2.8mm DG Macro for taking pictures of Jewelry. Previously I was using my Tamron 17-50 F2.8 which was not a true macro lens but it was getting the job done.

What I am noticing with the Sigma Macro is that it has Crazy shallow depth of field. I usually hand hold everything because in my office I am usually in a big hurry to send a picture of something off to a customer, but even at F11 or F13 I am still getting quite a bit of blur. I know it has nothing to do with hand holding it because I AM indeed getting a focus point that is razor sharp but not the rest of the ring.....Is this normal with a macro lens?? Focus distance it about 2-5 inches BTW

My office camera is a Rebel XT and I have been shooting at ISO 800 125th or so at F11 or F13.......wondering if using my 40D would make a difference due to the ability to use higher ISO

Freedbaby

Yup, macro lenses have hair thin DOF. You need a good tripod so you can use a longer shutter speed, you could also get off camera lighting (which most macro shooters use all the time for this very reason, i think)

HTH

I am indeed using a light tent with three external lights but if I stop it down anymore I will no longer be able to hand hold it.

well...maybe you are talking about strobes??

Freedbaby

Yes
These will be much more affective then those little lights that come with those softboxes

so again...........more money to be spent?!?!?!?:x

Hehe
This IS photography were talking about.

yah = also you can get some nice small tripods (I forget who makes them) which would be idealy sized and of good solid quality for macro work - much easier to deal with for this kind of work than a fullsized tripod.

thanks for that overread...I picked up one today at the local camera shop. Small and very sturdy, but only slightly adjustable. I seems to hold either of my cameras with lens and battery grip, so hopefully when I get to work tomorrow that will be the answer.

I didnt buy the remote control though....didnt have enough stash money in my pocket:er:

Freedbaby

You don't really need a remote for still tripod photography; you can use a 2-second timer. Yep, photography can be a black hole when it comes to money, but as long as you think it's worth it... :D

After a quick google search, I've found that a 50mm lens focusing at 18cm has a depth of field of approximately 1 millimetre.

Also use mirror lock-up mode as well with the timer - that will remove any shaking from the viewfinder mirror moving up before taking a shot. It will probably set itself to a 2 second delay between moving the mirror and taking the shot.

As the closer you get to the object, the shallower the DOF,
try taking it from a bit further, and crop.

I will try that...thanks guys.

When I called the company I bought it from to ask for advice they just said to keep stopping it down until it gets sharp, but I dont seem to have enough light to do that. I have a light tent that is about an 18" cube with 3 lights already. Not sure how to add more without going the strobe route which gets pricey.

Gonna back it off some and crop in and see how that works.

Freedbaby

Most reactions

Back