Macro

aussie_em

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Got myself the Canon EOS 350D in August this year and I'm looking to buy a macro lens for it. I'm only 18 and am just starting off with photography, so I don't really have a clue which lenses are good value/quality.

I'm willing to spend around £300, maybe a little bit less.

Any help would be great! Thanks!!!

What lenses do you have now? A cheap alternative to buying a macro lens is buying a set of extension tubes. They fit on any lens, and move the lens away from the film plane, which allows you to focus closer. If you buy 65mm of extension tubes, and use a 50mm lens, you'll get closer than lifesize.

If you don't already have the Canon 50mm f/1.8, it's a great lens that you should have, and coupled with extension tubes, makes a great macro lens.

I'm not entirely sure what lens I have... it came with the body of the camera. It says its '18-55mm'. I only got the camera a couple of months ago and have been saving up for a lens!

Hi Aussie

I have read of the magazine called What Digital camera and they did a tested of a number of macro lenses and rated them. For under 300 pounds, you can go for a Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG for 229 Pounds or Tamron 90mm F2.8 Di lens
for 299 Pounds. The Tamron lens did score 89% and it does produce very good pictures in Macro and Portraits shots.
So you have a choice of taking photos of flowers in close up and then take portriat of people.

Canon has the 60mm f2.8 USM macro lens at 290 Pounds. It is design for the digital camera APS-C chip (8.2 MP) It score 88% so you can go to your camera shop and try them out before you buy.

Mike from Australia

Ahh thank you Mike. I'll do some further research into those lenses you suggested :)

I have a Canon 20D and bought a the Canon 100mm Macro, I paid full price from Jessops about 18 months ago but if I was going to buy again I would buy fron one of the ebay Hong Kong Sellers (DigitalRev and kea-photo have been good in the past) and at about £300 inc postage they are £100 cheaper than UK stores.

The Canon 100mm Macro is ace, I love this lens. Its real sharp and although on the 1.6 crop cameras (like your and mine) it seems a little long for portraits I have actually taken a few rather good ones.

Check out http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=47&sort=7&cat=2&page=1

HTH

Most reactions

Back