Made to last!

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This door at Pickworth church, Lincolnshire, was put in place in the early 1300s, and has remained there ever since, opening and closing as successive generations of villagers have entered and departed the church. It bears the marks of centuries of nails and tacks where priests and parish clerks have fixed notices to its thick oak planks. The "C" shaped hinges and the decorative iron lobes and tendrils are rusted, with parts missing, but they still hold it together as they did on the day it was first made 700 years ago. The graffiti is from the nearby porch wall. I wonder if it will last as long as the door! The oldest I could find is from 1614.

Tony

For more info: http://photoreflect.blogspot.com/2008/05/made-to-last.html

Pickworth-church-door-2.jpg

Pickworth-church-door-1.jpg

Pickworth-church-graffiti.jpg

The first one is great. I like the color tones and general feel.
The last one is interesting. Who knew there were vandals in the land of the Angles then?

Fascinating! I love the stuff you come up with. I'm torn between the first two pics, but would probably go with the second one....all those holes and scars tell such a story, and the closeup of the woodgrain looks great.

Gaaah! That said, I love the fact the door is open in the first shot, and you can see how worn the step are as well.

Hmmm,"WS 1614". I'm gonna say it was ol' William Shakespeare hisself! (Where in the church is the graffiti? High up? Hidden away somewhere in an alcove?)

Thanks Saltface & Antarctican. Vandals are always with us it seems Saltface! This graffiti is on a wall to the immediate left of the door Antarctican, at just the height you'd expect it to be if someone had idly leaned against it and chipped or scratched away for an hour or so. There's more to the right of the door as well. It seems that then, as now, if you don't immediately remove a piece of graffiti it just encourages others to add more!

Regards, Tony

I really like the overall tone of that first shot, reminds me of a photo expedition on doors in a town near me not too long ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back