Magazine Subscription

Cheyan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to subscribe to a photo magazine. I have seen lots of different ones is there one in particular that is better than the other.

There are two kinds of photo mags: mags that showcase photography and photographers, and mags that showcase gear. On your average magazine rack most or all of the photo mags will be gear mags. The gear mags are usually more than half ads, and many of the articles read like ads. I think the gear mags are a waste of money unless you are shopping for gear.

Lenswork is a very good magazine if you like BW photography. The printing quality is excellent. They have 4 or 5 photographer portfolios each issue, an interview, and a few articles. No gear reviews. It's about the only photo mag subscription I've ever had where I'm excited each time it arrives, and never disappointed after I've flipped through it a few times.

Rangefinder mag was giving out free subscriptions a while back. Rangefinder has lots of ads, and definately talks about gear, but they also showcase professional photographers, and interview them about their business, etc... That can be interesting if you are in business, or thinking about going into business. Some articles are very good, and I've learned a few things from my free subscription. Unfortunately too many of the articles are let downs. As long as they want to send it to me for free I'll take it, but I won't pay for it. Their wedding photography issue is always stunning; if they put out an issue like that every month I'd buy it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back