Magazines

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went to Barns & Nobles yesterday and swung by the magazine racks. I saw about 30 different photography magazines. I think I read them all :D . I ended up buying B&W and Popular Photography. Im really impressed by B&W! Amazing pictures. Pop Photography seems to be packed with good info.

Anyone subscribe to any magazines?

(this is probably gona get moved...my bad)

we have Popular Photography sitting in our bathroom ... dont know how it got there (guess the hubby bought it) ... but its pretty good :D

tell me more about that b&w mag?

B&W is coffee table quality. 142 pages of thick, glossy paper. Verry few adds! Features everything from ammature to professional work. I read that the only pictures they will publish are from film. I dont think that really matters, but more info for you. Its more something to gaze at. There arent how-to articles and camera reviews. Its all about the photographer and their work.

This months has Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee (husband & wife), Peter Dazeley and Herman Leonard.

check out www.bandwmag.com

well, dont tell the hubby i just subscribed to Popular Photography Mag :lol: :::shhhhh:::

the B&W mag seems interesting and im moving toward b&w photography these days ... perhaps someday, it will be exclusive :D

... that mag seems a bit pricey for 6 issues ... i dont know if that can get past the hubby :eek: .... but then he'll say, "u know the price" :eyebrows:

the photos look very interesting, perhaps i'll buy just one :D

Im impressed with this Pop photo mag. Ill probably subscribe. I wont tell Mr Dew that you subscribed. But dont you think the 12 back to back issues might give that away? :wink:

Yea B&W is pretty pricey. I really like it though.

I used to subscribe to Popular Photography years ago, but I got disillusioned with it. Too many ads, too much of the same stuff. Maybe it's better now. I might have to check it out again.

Last summer I saw an issue of Black & White Photography (a British mag, not the one mentioned above) at the rental darkroom and I loved it. I really want to look into that more. Looking for the website now...

i remember B&W mag when I was living Florida, wow its amazing. I picked up at a b&n as well. Not cheap, but very high quality worth every cent. Its not the type with tutorials or stuff, its mainly there to show off the pics. It inspired to take more b&w photos. They had an entire magazine dedicated to Weston which was nothing short of breathtaking.

Unfortunately the mags here have about 100% markup (well nearly all american imports for that matter) :(

Damn GST (goods and services tax)

The only publication i pick up on a regular basis is LensWork. All it is is portfolios, interviews, and articles by professional photographers. There's no hardware reviews, no letters to the editors, and NO ADDS. The only adds you'll find here are offers to subscribe, offers to order back issues, or offers to purchase prints of featured photographers and you only find those at the very back. There's no third party adds of any kind.

I started picking it up because I was disgusted by the number of adds in some magazines. Not just photography magazines, but magazines in general.

You want to hear something disgusting? I've got one mag in front of me. In this mag the table of contents doesn't start until page 16. There's 15 pages of adds before the contents! What's worse is that the first article isn't until page 34! You can't open this mag without looking at a add. It's easily 75% adds in this damn thing. Excuse me while I go burn this copy of Snowboard Canada.

I get a few biking magazines. They are half the size of these photography magazines and you can read all the articles in one sitting...

So this talk of magazines made me want one, so I went to B&N on my lunch... I got two, both British, Practical Photography and Black and White Photography (the one I mentioned, not the one graig mentioned. I have to say I was totally dismayed and saddened and shocked by the number of mags dedicated solely to digital. Completely Digital Photography, Totally Digital Photography, Digital Photography, etc etc... where the heck is Completely Film Photography?! I need to start a magazine...

wwjoeld said:
I subscribe to a little canadian publication called PhotoLife. Great reviews, great info and even better photos, with little amount of ads.

http://www.photolife.com/

Yep, Photolife is a great magazine.

I put in a 3 year subscription to Photolife in Jan, still waiting for my first issue to turn up here in Australia.

The subscription cost AUD$100 for the 3 years which will save me around AUD$180 on picking it up locally at the newsagent.

I have also just subscribed to National Geographic Traveller and Adventure for the photgraphy and to plan my trip overseas next year :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back