Magazines

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by rogue, Jan 18, 2006.

1. rogue

rogue TPF Noob!

I was recently thinking of subscribing to a photography related magainze, just wandering if anyone on these forums does and if so if you could recommend me a cover? Thanks ^_^

2. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    By far my favorite is Lenswork. They print some really great artwork in there. They don't talk much about technique, but the photographs they print are beautiful. It's more of a magazine for appreciating photography rather than learning about it. But try picking an issue up and see if you like it.

If you want a magazine that is more focused on technique and style, then I would recommend the british magazine Practical Photography (not to be confused with Popular Photography). It is my second favorite after LW, and is quite good for learning various tricks and stuff.

3. rogue

rogue TPF Noob!

Great, thanks a lot.

4. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Here's a few more for you.

5. Joerocket

Joerocket TPF Noob!

I just grabbed a copy of Photolife, its the first photography magazine I've purchased and I didn't put it down till I had read the whole thing, and I'm not a big reader.

-Joe

6. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

If you're in the UK, take a look at Outdoor Photography... I shoot mostly landscapes and love it. I think there's also a version available in the US, which I presume publishes similar content.

7. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Digital photo" kicks ass. And every month it comes with a free photoshop cd which offers tutorials and also extras for photoshop, such as borders and textures :) Its my choice of mag anyway!

8. rogue

rogue TPF Noob!

is that same as digital photo pro?

9. sobolik

sobolik TPF Noob!

If you are into digital photography get a magazine covering computer skills and not software or hardware recommendations.
    Go to goodwill or similar there are lots of magazines to sample.
    I would not generally recommend a magazine subscription for 2 reasons.
    1- The important information can be all contained in 1 book. This is more conducive to focused learning. Rather than a monthly hit and miss approach.
    2- Magazines especially Golf and Photography magazines proclaim the latest gadget/offering as the only thing that can get the job done. That thing you posses is woefully inadequate and you are likely to get ridiculed and laughed at for not having the "effective" new thing.
    But these magazines are great for all the visual value they provide even if they are not that objective.