Magical Composite - C&C Please!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I'm doing this photo for a friend and his magician business, and could use some feedback on this initial design.

Zach Composites_Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg

Thanks!

I would equalize the eyball catchlights, and perhaps try to make the cards a bit smaller, I guess. The cards appear a bit too big to me, and the lighting on him seems a bit too bright.

Hmm, okay, I can start with that

Love the concept! I would suggest to scale the cards the same. The 9 is much larger than the other cards and the 4 too small. I would arc the card flow off center to the right since the cards are going from right to left (his left hand to right). I wasn't sure about the card's purple haze, but now see it is also around him. Maybe try different blend modes and feather it out a little? I wonder if a little black line on the outside closest edge would give them definition? Add some light flare painted in maybe? Medium/dark yellow set to screen? The cards seem too light. You could use a clipping mask to adjust or paint in a little black set to multiply. The outside corners could be same lightness they are now to give them some definition.

Would love to see your finished version. Sorry if too many suggestions. I like to use trial and error and discard a layer if it doesn't work.

Love the concept! I would suggest to scale the cards the same. The 9 is much larger than the other cards and the 4 too small. I would arc the card flow off center to the right since the cards are going from right to left (his left hand to right). I wasn't sure about the card's purple haze, but now see it is also around him. Maybe try different blend modes and feather it out a little? I wonder if a little black line on the outside closest edge would give them definition? Add some light flare painted in maybe? Medium/dark yellow set to screen? The cards seem too light. You could use a clipping mask to adjust or paint in a little black set to multiply. The outside corners could be same lightness they are now to give them some definition.

Would love to see your finished version. Sorry if too many suggestions. I like to use trial and error and discard a layer if it doesn't work.

Great suggestions, thank you!

Personally I find the top right to bright and a bit distracting... I would tone that area down a bit... also not a big fan of the purple hue around him... almost gives me a feel of chromatic aberration...

Thoughts?
It looks neat! Definitely something that would be cool to have on IG or advertising for his business. You're really good at creating Photoshop magic for your clients! I wish I would work more on that for my nieces/nephews.

The thing that I think I'm hung up on is that it doesn't look real. Obviously, it's not real, and it's ok to look somewhat "magical", but it doesn't seem to follow physics.

What I mean is that the cards are supposed to be flowing from one hand to another, correct? They are all in the same direction with the same orientation. Take a look at the first 2-seconds of the video below. Look at the cards. You see the backs of cards in one hand and there's a progression towards the fronts near the other hand.

What about adding a few more cards and maybe add in some motion blur, as well?

what about not compositing, blurring, glowing, etc. etc. etc.?

Seems like the end goal of the image is supposed to be quasi-fantasy given the client's interest/business in magic?

Personally I find the top right to bright and a bit distracting... I would tone that area down a bit... also not a big fan of the purple hue around him... almost gives me a feel of chromatic aberration...

I'll try that, thanks!

Thoughts?
It looks neat! Definitely something that would be cool to have on IG or advertising for his business. You're really good at creating Photoshop magic for your clients! I wish I would work more on that for my nieces/nephews.

The thing that I think I'm hung up on is that it doesn't look real. Obviously, it's not real, and it's ok to look somewhat "magical", but it doesn't seem to follow physics.

What I mean is that the cards are supposed to be flowing from one hand to another, correct? They are all in the same direction with the same orientation. Take a look at the first 2-seconds of the video below. Look at the cards. You see the backs of cards in one hand and there's a progression towards the fronts near the other hand.

Good suggestions. As for showing the backs of cards, I thought about that, but since they're going more side to side (as opposed to top to bottom) I'm not sure that would look good either.

These ones did have some motion blur - can you see it? Maybe I should exaggerate it some more. Adding more cards is probably a good idea.

Seems like the end goal of the image is supposed to be quasi-fantasy given the client's interest/business in magic?

Correct.

As for showing the backs of cards, I thought about that, but since they're going more side to side (as opposed to top to bottom) I'm not sure that would look good either.
You're the artist, so do what works for you and your client.

I like the new version. The cards appear more organic and the arc appears a good flow. The yellow light could be toned down just a little, personal taste. The purple shadow around the person and the cards looks too uniform. Did you use a drop shadow? I would suggest to paint on instead varying the amount and feather out a bit. Maybe reduce the opacity. You could start with 5% opacity and build up with painting.

This is your creation and your vision. Overall, I like the concept and the 2nd photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back