Mah first maternity shoot

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...and I think my 4th portrait session. hehe. I had told myself that 2010 was my year of portraits, so I'm trying my best to learn and grow.

This is from a 45 mins shoot I did with a friend earlier this week. Both her and her husband are awesome people. I met her a few years ago actually taking a photography class. We had not discussed clothes for them to wear, but to my great surprise, I show up and they are both wearing black tops and jeans, ready to go. What a great way to start a shoot. She is just past 8 months pregnant.

She didn't want any of the cheesy maternity shots. She really wanted a more natural and relaxed style of shooting, not formal and not too directed...which is right up my alley (I think)

Took about 70 images, had a great 20 or so out of them. She is working from home and needs to be off her feet, so we focused on a few areas to shoot in. I should of still tried for more variety in places, but as they just moved in a few weeks before, not too many options.

These are my faves from the shoot. Would love to hear what you all think...processing, image, framing,....

4819824984_389d2e645a.jpg

4819824236_02a4612754.jpg

4819202753_3a1fb223ba.jpg

4819824752_da3f7969b2.jpg

4819825230_ae122a696b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Alrighty then, I'll try and make the next time around a bit more memorable ;)

1 and 3 i wish you hadn't cut out her head (though i know that style is what some people like, it just isn't me) and the lighting in 5 is too harsh. 2 and 4 stand out to me. they look candid but still professional, which i like. did they like the images?

These pictures are not very flattering. I don't see a lot of beauty in them. I probably would have softened the pictures in pp.

I like 2,4, and 5 the best. They just seem to work very nicely to me.

Thanks for the comments. :)

1 and 3 i wish you hadn't cut out her head (though i know that style is what some people like, it just isn't me) and the lighting in 5 is too harsh. 2 and 4 stand out to me. they look candid but still professional, which i like. did they like the images?

The couple loved the images, one being their favorite by far, followed by 2.

The cutting off the head was intentional and you are correct, it was a style choice. I can appreciate how not everyone likes this though.

These pictures are not very flattering. I don't see a lot of beauty in them. I probably would have softened the pictures in pp.

Any ideas in terms of composition and light that you would of done differently to make them more beaufitul?

Thanks again people :)

I disagree 100%. The only one I dont like is the last one due to harsh sunlight.

For the rest you can make the skin more even (blend the freckles a little) or leave it as is. Good job!

I actually really like these. I think you did an excellent job, I like the comp in #1. Lighting was good and DOF. Considering my first maternity shoot, first portrait shoot that is, didn't go nearly as well! As a couple I think they will cherish these.

I like #2 and #4 best, too. I don't usually like maternity photos, but these are nice. Although I agree with others about the last one: nice pose, harsh lighting.

Thanks for the comments. :)

The couple loved the images, one being their favorite by far, followed by 2.

The cutting off the head was intentional and you are correct, it was a style choice. I can appreciate how not everyone likes this though.

Any ideas in terms of composition and light that you would of done differently to make them more beaufitul?

Thanks again people :)

I just feel that the pictures could be softened up a bit. I am sure that the couple that you photographed are happy that you captured this moment for them!

The DOF on #4 is excellent and I feel works very well!

#1 is my favorite by far. Very nice shot!

#2 I'm not crazy about. His position makes him look like a child or midget. I think that leaving the shoulders in the frame would have helped.

#3 is a great shot to show the baby belly but I'm not crazy about the pp. I think it's the heavy vignetting that is hurting it for me. Also as stated I think this one could use a softer style of pp.

#4 A+ DOF is nice.

#5 D- For all of the stated reasons.

Thanks for the honest critiques everyone, I do appreciate them.

The hand in #2 really annoys me as well, but its something I noticed after the fact. Rookie mistake I guess.

thanks for the consensus on #5 haha. The couple wanted a quick shot outside and this was pretty much the only usable area. But you are all right, the light ain't the nicest. :)

Hope you don't mind my opinion - I've been doing maternity photography for 7 years...

#1 - very nice. Your post processing is nice, and your crop is nice. Her elbow may bug me a little, but not enough to detract from the image.

#2 - I do like your post processing here too, but usually I don't like tinted black and whites or sepia-like images. Something about this image, though, feels "raw", and I kinda like that. His right hand does bug me though. Get rid of the lint on her top, and you may want to soften her skin a little on her face. By the way, you can EASILY remove that right hand of his. It's a very easy fix.

#3 - this one is fine but she will be very bugged by her upper arm - learn how to edit underarm areas and tops of hands. Her hands make her look older than she is (women don't usually like the backs of their hands).

#4 This is fine, but again, soften the skin of her face. If you do a nice skin soften, you can reduce the flaws and the shiny nose, but keep it still looking natural.

#5 - as others said, the harsh light is a problem... just move them to open shade next time.

Looks like you have a nice start here, definitely.

BTW - I never used to be into skin softening and all but women in general tend to expect it. If you are going to keep using shadowing in your images (which I encourage you to do, shadowing is something that SHOULD be embraced with pregnancy - it's very flattering for pregnant women to have shadowing), you will need to learn to skin soften their face because although the shadows are GREAT for their body, not so great for the face...

Hope you don't mind my opinion - I've been doing maternity photography for 7 years...

Thanks for taking the time Jodie, I appreciate it. I never mind the opinions of anyone, and I'm happy to get your great comments.

I spent no time doing processing work on skin and such (and I guess it shows). I'll go back and give it a go, if anything for practice sake. I do agree on many of your points, so thanks for reinforcing what I was thinking.

I never picked up on her underarm...man, so many things to keep in mind. An image can be nice, but its all about the little details like that.

Thanks again. :)

Most reactions

Back