Make me feel better about not buying ebay

"Ebay" doesn't sell anything, it just provides an forum for sellers to find buyers--research the seller and you're just as safe as buying locally IMO.

Agreed. All of my equipment has come from ebay. With some careful research, great deals can be had.

But, I will agree that the offered "kits" are almost always crap. The best way to use ebay is shopping for specific items, doing your homework, and knowing what you are looking at. If you are a noob to camera shopping, stick with your brick & mortar or reputable online dealers.

I think you should go with eBay-- you will save a lot of money that way. 2 reasons:

1) Right now Microsoft is offering 25% cashback if you buy an item using eBay's Buy It Now and paying with PayPal. So a $600 camera becomes $450. (The link that you showed me above would have $154.50 cashback).
2) You don't have to pay taxes. $650 at Circuit City is more like $700.

As for the warranty issue, some sellers on eBay are authorized dealers and you will have the same warranty as Circuit City. However, if these sellers have their own checkout (not PayPal) then it's not eligible for 25% cashback. In total, you are paying $250 less for the SAME thing. If a warranty is worth $250 to you, then go to circuit city. If not then go to eBay.

If you don't know what the 25% cashback deal is then google "live.com 25% ebay"

Last edited:
My rule of thumb for Ebay in general is to never spend more than your willing to lose. It might be a little paranoid and pessimistic, but I'm not going to unexpectedly get stiffed on a several hundred dollar purchase, wind up w/ a grey market or stolen product (if that bothers you), or end up with a picture of an item or something equally ridiculous.

I think you should go with eBay-- you will save a lot of money that way. 2 reasons:

1) Right now Microsoft is offering 25% cashback if you buy an item using eBay's Buy It Now and paying with PayPal. So a $600 camera becomes $450. (The link that you showed me above would have $154.50 cashback).

As for the warranty issue, some sellers on eBay are authorized dealers and you will have the same warranty as Circuit City. However, if these sellers have their own checkout (not PayPal) then it's not eligible for 25% cashback. In total, you are paying $250 less for the SAME thing. If a warranty is worth $250 to you, then go to circuit city. If not then go to eBay.

hmmmmmm interesting

i have never ever had a problem with ebay...

but if a price is too good to be true. it probably is.

Ugh, doesn't that just suck! I just spent $740 on my 30D and 50mm 1.4...would've been nice to see a $185 rebate 2 months from now. It seems like I always miss things like this...oh well...I do NEED a 70-200mm...:lmao:

- Ale

Here is my .02

1 - I have purchased from ebay NEW camera equipment about a dozen times. It has always been with a bricks and mortar store though. Cameta Camera is one I have never ever had a problem with. They are an authorized retailer.
2 - The kits are worthless. They charge a premium for off brand batteries, off brand bags, off brand memory etc.
3 - If something says PRO on it run away. No major manufacturer that actually makes PRO gear will ever say that or put it on their equipment.
4 - You have to watch what your looking at. As alot of ads are for "remanufactured" items. This is not bad (I bought my wife one, from Cameta they seem to have alot, going good after 3+ years). But you need to look close to make sure your not paying new for the remanufactured item.

I just recently bought a new D300 from Amazon. It is actually comming from Cameta through Amazon.

Now if a local camera store has the camera for the same price as Circuit City I say go there. But the fact is, if you have a problem Circuit City will not be of much help to you. Same thing with Best Buy if not worse. Yes you bought it local, but no they will be no help to you if there is an issue. Normally local mom + pop store you will get best service.

This is late you may have already purchased it. But thats my .02

I bought a D40 kit on ebay WITH a warranty and had absolutely no problems. The kits are crap, buy those separately, however when it comes to camera and lens alone I would go ebay. Just make sure there is a return policy, and the seller has good feedback.

Also note that you can buy MACK warranties separately on ebay for an extra $50-60.

Here is my .02
3 - If something says PRO on it run away. No major manufacturer that actually makes PRO gear will ever say that or put it on their equipment.

While I agree in most cases, there are exceptions. Such as the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1,4x which is a very good TC ...

I also bought mine on ebay WITH a warranty and yeah some of those things that the kit incluedes like that sd card reader is very poor quality but as far as the camera body and the lens its oke just make sure its from CAMETA , they are awesome i've some most of my equipment from them and never had a problem

While I agree in most cases, there are exceptions. Such as theKenko Teleplus Pro 300 1,4x which is a very good TC ...

Ah got me there as I have a Kenko one myself! but I don't think it says pro, going to have to look. :D

Last edited:

So, I've been trying to buy a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS lens on ebay to take advantage of the cashback program, but NOT ONE of the lenses listed is eligible. It says to read the terms and conditions as to why this is, but I can't find anything in there that explains it. Ugh. Oh well...

- Alex

I would recommend Cameta Camera, too. They have an actual brick and mortar store on Long Island. They get a lot of remanufactured stuff directly from Nikon and often have good close out deals, so make sure you are buying 'new' if that is what you want. I bought my wife's D80 from them and purchased the body and memory card 'kit' only. Pricing the items separately it turned out to be a good deal. Remember how high the NYC area sales taxes are when walking in to purchase.

Why not just go back into nyc and go to the B&H store, they are on 9th ave between west 33rd and west 34th. Here I will give you the link.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/NYSuperStore.jsp

Or if in Jersey you can Try Ritz Camera there in many of the local malls or small strip malls. I bought my D40 and extras via Ritz and made out very well $ wise.

Amazon has the D60 with the VR kit lense for like $550 (I think this package usually runs $650-$700). It's from a very trusted seller as well, brand new...Might want to check it out as $100 is a pretty big difference.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10-2MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B0012OGF6Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226158532&sr=8-1#[/ame]

Most reactions

Back