Make them pay?

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
My friend would like to use the photos I shot of her play in a high end magazine. The shots hung in the lobby during the run and we were all very proud. Nothing has been discussed yet, but it seems to be understood that I would just give her high res versions of the photos.

Do I charge her? What if these run 3 columns? let alone their page location. I could (reasonably) charge upwards of 300 dollars. She is my bud. She is also an experienced art director that is clear on purchasing photos. She is only the AD so the mag will be charged, not her. Would I be less of a friend for charging her? Should I give these photos away for the sake of community theater? Am I greedy for even thinking of charging her?

craig said:
Am I greedy for even thinking of charging her?
Do you run a business or charity?
And charities have a tax-exempt status for doing nice things like that. Do you?

Talk it over, it's business.

Dang, I know how hard it is to charge your friends, but if it was reversed, would they do the same for you?

Give a deep discount but you have to make a few bucks.

If she's your "bud," then talk to her. Ask her if she has a budget. If not, consider allowing one-time use in exchange for a photo credit. Being a high profile publication, it would be considered news worthy. Get a press release off to the local newpapers. The "free ink" would be worth a bunch.

Good luck with this.

I was thinking along the same lines...ask for a photo credit. With good friends I usually just charge my cost for the shoot, I give a discount to co-workers because they give so many referrals. Everyone else pays full price :D

But, now I've reread what you said, are you saying the magazine would be paying? Not her personally? In that case, I would charge and ask for the credit as well :mrgreen:

craig said:
Would I be less of a friend for charging her?

Would she be less of a friend for using your work without compensation? Ask her what the magazine usually pays for such photos and work from there.

Thanks for the replies! Well.. things have gone from bad to worse. I stopped by her work to drop off the CD and she was in a meeting. I think a pleasant email is in order. I will explain the rates, but I am nervous none the less. I am interested in seeing how this deal unfolds.

Oh yeah... You guys were supposed to say "just give her the photos Craig because what comes around goes around". I say that jokingly of course. I wish I had a manager so that I did not have to deal with the stupid, dirty money end of things.

Tell her they are your photos. Then tell her what they will cost. You should have talked about this before...

Definitely breaking the first rule of client/photographer relationship. I knew she was on deadline and I really wanted the photos to run in the mag. At least I will get a photo credit. I will have more info tomorrow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back