Making B&W photos out of color films

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Egomonster, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Egomonster

Egomonster TPF Noob!

what would be the best film for this purpose? do I remember right, that some color didn't show at all in this way (red maybe?)?

2. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I am not understanding. If you know you want B&W why not use B&W film?

3. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    it's better to buy b&w film because you will get really better contrast. If you want to have only a few shots in black and white why not buy a 16 still film... ( I don't know if that's a correct word so... a film with 16 photos on it)

4. photoman

photoman TPF Noob!

I know kodak makes b&w paper specifically designed for color negatives (i dont know what it is called though)

5. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Try Kodak 400CN. It's developed with C41 and has very good results. I've tried it a few times and if I wasn't messing around in the darkroom I would use it fairly regularly.

6. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Here are some examples of 400CN. Remember these are just quick scans and cropped to varying degrees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

So if you buy the Kodak C41 B&W film, can you still make prints yourself using normal B&W paper. or do the negs look different then say a D76 processed roll?

And if anyone knows the name of paper for B&W from color film, please let me know. I would love to try it.

8. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I'm fairly new to developing and have just been using Agfa developer. The prints seem to be fine from these negatives, again, with my limited experience. I have seen some people say that the results aren't quite as good. If you don't do your own darkroom work I would imagine an enlargement from a lab with the usual color equipment qould yied decent results as that's what the 4X6 prints were.

9. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I'm fairly new to developing and have just been using Agfa developer. The prints seem to be fine from these negatives, again, with my limited experience. I have seen some people say that the results aren't quite as good. If you don't do your own darkroom work I would imagine an enlargement from a lab with the usual color equipment qould yied decent results as that's what the 4X6 prints were.

10. Egomonster

Egomonster TPF Noob!

...this time I want BOTH color and B&W pictures. I mean, I want to take normal travel photos in color, and then make B&W enlargements out of the best ones... (They need to be colorphotos because I'm going to offer them for a newspaper as well - this newspaper prefers color photos). I only have one good camera so can't use one for each film...

11. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could you just have the shots scanned in and convert them in a photo editing suite?

12. Egomonster

Egomonster TPF Noob!

Hmm... I c ould do that but I need big prints, so I'd prefer developing them myself. What a dilemma I have here!