making 'fake' HDRs

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by quiggy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. quiggy

quiggy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,

I've searched around a lot so forgive me if it has been mentioned (if there is already a thread if you could kindly point me towards it?).

But I'm trying to make 'fake' HDRs from my Canon 450D using DPP. The process I'm taking is a quick and simple one:

1) save 3 different RAW files from the single one taken on -2, 0, +2 into exif-jpeg.
    2) open photoshop CS3 and automate - create HDR.

They always come out looking completely weird - from what I had read this seems to be all that I have to do to get something looking half decent...

Does the exposure value in the exif have anything to do with it? I've noticed that it is always 0, no matter what I change in DPP?

Thanks.

2. ZacMan1987

ZacMan1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to be creating a tutorial on this over the next week or two using the jpeg image seen here, I'll link it when it's done, But to start, don't do it with CS3, Get a real HDR tool, the tone mapping adjustment power of of a true HDR tool will give you far superior results than CS3 can.

4. quiggy

quiggy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hmm that first link above recommends that you cannot use different outputs from the same raw file. While searching through the forums I have stumbled on comments that this is ok but effectively 'fake' HDR - but still yields relatively good results?

My current problem is that when I HDR my -2, 0, +2 together I still get a very bright image, brighter than 0. Would have thought all things considered that part of it will work? I'll post the 3 jpegs so maybe I can get some comments on where I'm going wrong and some other food for thought...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+2
    [​IMG]

I know there probably is a bit more to it, but first things first!

5. mack1time

mack1time TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your exifs may be wrong
    You must make sure to make even exposure adjustments otherwise a menu will pop up asking you the increments which may not be even

6. quiggy

quiggy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    all 3 jpeg exif data states exposure compensation to be 0.

If that is part of my problem I'm not too sure what is going on as I change the exposure setting in Canon Digital Professional, save it as another RAW before exporting it to jpeg...