Making HDR from a single .raw??

AdamZx3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always see tutorials that say to take three seperate exposures and combine them in cs or cs2, but why couldnt you take a single .raw and export 3 differant exposure settings? I havent tried this yet and wasn't really sure if this would be as good.

because 3 pictures with 2 stops difference in exposure each provide a deeper, cleaner range than a single image that has been altered to appear as 3 different exposures. You can do it with 1 RAW, but the best results come from different images.

oh ok that makes sense, I forgot about the camera moving the aperture too....thanks!

*edit*
i'll check out those turorials too, thanks again

One more thing , I was having trouble with bracketing the D80 with 3 exposures, I read the manual but am still a little confused which one to do...seems like thiers a custom mode and a preset program...can someone point me in the right direction?

*edit again :) *

I'm sorry for posting in the wrong forum it wass meant for the beginers forum, admins feel free to move it, again sorry for any inconvineince.

why does the aperture make a difference? i noticed it said that, but doesnt shutter speed have the exact same effect?

why does the aperture make a difference? i noticed it said that, but doesnt shutter speed have the exact same effect?

not sure exactly what you mean, but you dont want to vary the aperture in an HDR image because the DOF changes and that will really mess up your pictures. Certain parts will be in focus but the part immediately next to it wont be.

because 3 pictures with 2 stops difference in exposure each provide a deeper, cleaner range than a single image that has been altered to appear as 3 different exposures.

Oh ok I get it now I thought you meant F-stops at first...after a google I realize you mean 2 stops in exposure....i'll get the hang og it one day:)

Oh ok I get it now I thought you meant F-stops at first...after a google I realize you mean 2 stops in exposure....i'll get the hang og it one day:)

yes, two stops in exposure, usually from increase and decreasing the shutter speed. Sorry about the confusion there.

When you open a RAW file in Photomatix it creates a pseudo-HDR that you can then tonemap. Of course, taking multiple exposures and then combining them to an HDR image is far superior.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back