Making money selling photographs?

BmDubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, now... I dont want to do this for a Living.. just a passion. But, I also dump thousands of dollars monthly into tattooing equipment, Painting and other art supplies, music equipment etc. I was just wondering if its possible to make enough money to pay for the hobby. Like sell enough prints to pay for future prints.. or extra lenses etc.

Im new and wouldnt dream of trying to make money off a photograph at the moment.. But down the road it would be nice

I also do it as a hobby as well.
but i would like to sell some of my work.
how do i go about selling it?
or where can i go to sell it?
or even get people to look at it?

craigslist is the hot new place for art these days.

I dont want to know where, or how... I was just curious if it was possible for the average photographer... and as to about how many people do it.. Not looking for handouts... Just curious .... lol :thumbup:

I was going to make a joke about the "average photographer", but figured it would be best that I not.

Sure it's possible. I get offers all the time from people who have spent their entire life looking at point/shoot photos, and they think mine are just the most wonderful thing ever... But I know better. I'm not at the point where I really would take anyone's money. Someday, I'd like to think that my quality of work will be such that I can do that.

Sure it's possible. I get offers all the time from people who have spent their entire life looking at point/shoot photos, and they think mine are just the most wonderful thing ever... But I know better. I'm not at the point where I really would take anyone's money. Someday, I'd like to think that my quality of work will be such that I can do that.
Quote for truth... I spend a lot of time looking at what the pros are doing and the quality of their work... yes, to get inspiration and ideas, but also to keep humble. Before I even think of selling anything I've taken, I'll be entering contests, seeing about having some shots shown at local places, etc.

...but yeah... it'd be great to make this hobby self-supporting, right? Good luck. I hope it happens for ya.

I think if someone is willing to pay for a photo you took, let them make an offer! Art is a funny thing. I have seen paintings that I think look like a 5 year old painted them sell for 300-400 bucks. and not just once. If someone likes it they like it!

Right on... I wouldnt dream of taking anyways money right now... But Ill be damned if someone came to me and was like " I really like that picture... Ill give you $_ _ _ For it..." It's there right to like and buy something lol.. BUT I WOULD NEVER TRY TO " MARKET " MY PHOTOS ..... ( at the moment )

I actually wored in the fulfillment industry for a very short stint. A not so comprehensive list of places to sell your photos online.

Notes:
Selling photos online isn't easy (requires additional marketing on your end as well).

Even pros don't make the bulk of their income from doing so online (from what I have seen working with some fine art photographers ). Many of them make their money selling prints in traditional ways, such as at public displays or exhibitions, art fairs, etc. Even if you are quite talented as a photographer, it is probably going to be a source of passive income at best.

Dont you make an okay amount in tattoo's?

I know i've chucked half of my hard earns saving since FEB at my back piece... i could have a FEW new lenses... like actual good ones by now lol

I had someone offer me money for a photo i took with a point and shoot... i mean i liked the photo but i agree that she def just didnt know wtf she was looking at.

I just like decorating my own house with my pictures :)

I live by the "way pay money for it when you can make/do it yourself" motto

If someone's going to pay for it, it's worth selling, end of story. Now, whether or not you're essentially ripping them off depends on how much you charge them, and that is an entirely different story.

I am considering setting up a booth at local festivals next summer with a digital photo frame and a few prints to try and sell some of my better photos. My plan is to have very little up front cost (other than booth rental fees) and make prints on demand. That way I can keep my costs relatively low but still make a profit. If it doesn't work I'll just stop.

If it does work I'll use the information and perhaps create a website to try and selll the more popular prints.

Right now I am working hard on getting some marketable prints. I have a small number that I feel would be saleable in the local market. Hopefully I can scrounge enough from my little plan to invest in some better gear (i.e. lenses) and then expand things beyond that.

I'll have to put a little time into it initially, but once again, if its not profitable then I can just stop and I won't be out too much.

Most reactions

Back