Making money selling photographs?

This only comes from my experience as a *buyer* not a seller, but I would think you would want to have some actual prints there. I've never seen a booth that had something like what you describe. I feel like people will need to see exactly what they are buying, and be able to do it on the spot. Getting a few of your best shots printed and matted cannot be that expensive... especially if you get some cheap tools to matte them yourself at home... you'll just have to be careful, as the handheld matting tools aren't nearly as nice as the jigs... and you probably won't want to go beyond 8x10 because the longer runs get harder to hold straight...

most of all, good luck with however you approach it.

You can sell your work a few ways. One option would be using services like Redbubble or deviantart to sell prints, mugs, etc. You upload the photo and hope someone likes it. You can sell it on creigs list or ebay, but I don't know many people who really think that is worth it.
I personally fule my hobby in photography by selling work for stock photography companies. Below is a website that has several stock photography sites that you can upload images to.
KWTietz Stock Photography

I would suggest a book called "The Photographers Market" Its a listing and contact details for a lot of stock companies, magazines, trade papers, contests, workshops etc. ( Not sure if anyone else on here would recommend this or not )

However, It would probably be best to enter a few contests and things of that nature before sending of your portfolio to every company you can until you run out of postage. You could ruin your reputation before you even have one.

You can also try some local businesses and ask if they can maybe keep some small matted pictures on the counter and they can keep a % of the sales. Or offer to provide framed photographs for a local Cafe. Its good for both of you. They get free hip decor, and people can purchase if they like something. The only downside to this is that you run the risk of some idiots vandalizing or defacing your work. I was just on a road trip through California and at a little gift shop/rest stop in the mountains near Lake Tahoe, there was a little basket that had these 5x7 matted prints numbered and signed by a local photographer. There was a little paper in the back that had a little bio and contact info. It also said that larger prints were available. They weren't framed, just in this little matted holder with cellephane over them.

We have a local fair here, and I have a booth at the event. Although I'm new at this, well 6 or more months now I have sold many photographs. There are not many photographers around here so people are willing to pay for them. What I do is do "limited sales runs" basically making people think they are worth more because they are 1 of whatever. I do probably 10 or 20 of each photograph and frame a few. Then sell them, and people actually buy them, a lot of people. Now before someone chimes in, I know I'm not some really good photographer, but Im also not selling the prints because I think I am. I know I'm ok and sell them for ok photographer prices. Also the photos I sell are NOT in my flickr, to be honest I haven't uploaded anything there in a while. lol

I would suggest a book called "The Photographers Market" Its a listing and contact details for a lot of stock companies, magazines, trade papers, contests, workshops etc. ( Not sure if anyone else on here would recommend this or not )
+1

$20 : [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Market-Editors-Writers-Digest/dp/1582975841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273594150&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: 2010 Photographer's Market (9781582975849): Editors of Writer's Digest Books: Books[/ame]

and good luck to you because the market is flooded and gets more flooded, daily.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back