Making some pocket money out of interests

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by duanyu, Nov 10, 2006.

1. duanyu

duanyu TPF Noob!

Good Day Folks,

I take an interest in travel photography and have been doing it at beginners' level for quite some time. Recently, my brother was looking through some of my folders and was recommending that I have my shots shared commercially; i.e. either publish them out in a travel memoir or sell them to famous travel guides.

I am at a loss of how to get about 'selling' my photos. I tried e-mailing lonely planet, but no reply. Publishing my shots in a travel memoir seems like a herculian effort. I went through some websites like Yessey, which claims that you can 'sell' your work piece on their websites, but it also boils down to copyright issues, which I am not sure of how the procedure is like. Perhaps, some of you folks can give me some idea.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I believe there are a few books "How to make money with photography"...or something like that.

You could try to register your shots with some sort of stock photography site...but you have to remember that there are millions of people out there...many of whom also take great photos. To make any real money, you have to be special.

3. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try opening a free web site. Try Tripod or another free service. You never know and it's free....
    Cosmo

4. duanyu

duanyu TPF Noob!

Mike,

Perhaps you can briefly enlighten me how stock photograpghy works

5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I don't know the quality of your work, but if it is good enough, present it to one or more of the stock photo agencies. I'm sure you can find them with a search engine. Corbis is the largest, I believe, and one of the ones I used to use.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't profess to be an expert...but I'm thinking that there are two main ways. Either you sell your image to an agencey...and that's it. Or you register you image and they list it. You get a penny (or whatever) every time it gets used. You would either need some great images, that get used a lot...or you would need a lot of images...to make any real money.

Some agencies are more demanding in what they will accept...but they probably sell harder and pay more.

7. Pirate

Pirate TPF Noob!

There is a book that you can get at most large bookstores. It list places that buy stock photographs, how much they are willing to pay, contract info, and how to submit them. The book is very thick and is the best reference I've ever seen.