Making ugly things look good!

CAG76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these in the back yard. Yes, they are dead. Until the summer that is.

Budscolor.jpg

Budcolor.jpg

I don't know why I like this one! Not that this one is ugly.
Stump.jpg

I posted this one once before.
IMG_2635.jpg

Nice Shots..!

I love the first one. It is a wonderful macro!

I like the first one the best! Great shot! :)

Funny how I thought they look so dead and ugly, but the way the sun was hitting them turned my on to taking the shots anyway. It's so interesting about these D-SLR cameras. I find that they make bad things look good, or good things look even better. The colors and lighting is just does something that the naked eye does not do!

-Christopher

I find that they make bad things look good, or good things look even better.
hehe, yeah it's weird how that happens, you can really notice the difference in quality going from a p&s to a DSLR.

Nice shots by the way :)

The first shot looks really good. I personally don't find the others all that great. Also, I hate your attitude that the DSLR is making the things look good. It encourages the mis-belief that any old schmoe can go out, buy a DSLR,and take professional quality pics with little to no effort, even if that wasn't what you meant by it.

the topic proved that it can look good though it was ugly

Well, DSLR Noob, what do you think as compared to a point and shoot? Have you had a p&S before you got your DSLR? Do you have a DSLR? What kind do you have? Ok now after all the wonderful questions I just asked, compare your photos. My point is DSLR cameras have all this awesome lighting sensor technology and color enhancing technology and some other stuff I probably don't know about. Am I correct people? Im not saying that DSLR cameras are easy to use, Im saying that with all this technology packed into a more expensive camera causes pictures to come out just amazing! I took my powershot G9 into my sun room and just took random pictures. They looked great! Then I took my XSi and took the same pictures and on just the standard settings , Oh the glow that was casted on everything, the warmth, and the sharpness that the pictures have! Plus when I pull up those pictures on my 24 High Def iMac monitor screen, the image filled my whole screen in sharpness and beauty! Oh my goodness you just can't go wrong with that!!

Now, professional quality pics is another story. :)

-Christopher

Oh and everyone, thanks for the comments! I love for my stuff to be critiqued so that I can learn more about photography, but it does feel good to hear that someone likes on of my photos too, every once in a while. ha ha!

-Christopher

Well, DSLR Noob, what do you think as compared to a point and shoot? Have you had a p&S before you got your DSLR? Do you have a DSLR? What kind do you have? Ok now after all the wonderful questions I just asked, compare your photos.

1)Less noise and better tonal range, more control, more product expansion, and shallower depth of field possible.
2)One that I barely used because I hate AA battery cameras.
3)Yes
4) Canon EOS 20D
5) All I was saying is that you can't just point a DSLR at anything and to quote you "make ugly things look good" as easily as you made it sound. Now you can Observe the "ugly" object, find it's best angle, cast light on it, adjust the settings as far as sharpness, saturation, and contrast (or shoot RAW) take the photo with a selected focus point, precise aperture for desired depth of field, cropped for best subject enhancement, and make something ugly, into somehting beautiful. My main point, DSL doesn't just = better photo. DSLR = more control. Which in th ehands of the photographer with the skill set, can equal a breath taking photo.

I will say, if you're shooting in auto mode (or any other non-"creative mode"), and you did on the P&S too, your photos will probably look much better without any input from you simply because of the camera being better, but true talent to talent full control, I know there are photographers that could put us to shame with a manual controllable P&S.

Cliffnotes: I know you probably already understand what I meant, but your post made it sound like a DSLR just makes any old schmoe's pics just look good with relatively little effort, and I am saying it's more than the camera.

Oh yes I do see where you're coming from though. As a matter of face there is a guy on here who looked at a couple of photos I took of a mushroom that I took with my XSi and he was using a S5 IS and blew mine out of the water. So you are correct about that. As a matter of fact my brother even has a p&s camera and takes better pictures with that then he can with my XSi and with his wife's XT. Good call my friend!

OH yeah I hope you didn't think this whole thread was meant to say that you can take good pictures with no effort because I did put effort in the pics posted. Especially the top two and bottom one. :)

-Christopher

Most reactions

New Topics

Back