Mamiya 645 AFD - going to digital back

Seanery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, first post here. I'm a noob to medium format. I got my first mf camera in October - a used but very well maintained Mamiya 645 AFD with 120/220 back and stock 80mm lens. I've run about a dozen rolls of Fuji, Kodak and Lomo film through it and love the results. I chose the AFD because I wanted the option, if I liked the camera, to put a digital back on it and use it alongside my D3s and M8. I've been looking around for backs and have narrowed it to three entirely different options, I'd love some advice from users of these backs or those who have tested with them. I don't shoot in the studio, I'm out in the field doing travel photos.

Here are my current options:

1. A used Mamiya ZD22 back. Prices seem to be $2900 - $4100, and new old stock for $4500 - $5000. Who made these? Are they still worth using? How does it compare with my D3s?

2. A new Mamiya DM22 / Leaf Aptus II 5. With this option there is a sub option to upgrade to the camera kit with the AFD III body and new style 80mm lens as well. Standard pricing seems to be $7995 for the DM back and $9995 for the camera kit. This seems like a good deal if you factor the price of the camera, back and lens. This option also gets me a warranty. I assume the Leaf back is similarly priced to the DM.

3. A used Leaf Aptus 75s back. I've seen these from the high $8000s to over $14000. I'd need to get one at the lower end of the price range to make it more affordable. It's got a lot more megapixels, but the technology is as old as the ZD. Is there much life left on these 4 year old backs? How will it compare to my D3s?

I've been out of the country almost consistently since May 2009, so getting a demo from a local dealer is quite tough, so I value your experience here.

Thanks in advance!
-sean

Seems to me that a nikon d3x might be a better use of your $$.

I've yet to see anybody show that the image quality of "22" series digital backs is any better then a d3x.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back