I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
pulled the trigger on this today. (both literally AND figuratively)
been wanting to give medium format a try for a while now, and been looking for a camera that WASN'T a waist level viewfinder.
(that's why we sold the rolleiflex)
this thing is in excellent shape. it is beautiful. the mirror is HUGE.
the lens is is an 80mm f/4, which isn't the fast lens Ive seen on these cameras, BUT, if the lens is to be believed, it is a macro lens that does 1:1, which is a plus for us. it came with the trigger bracket. on the end of the lens, there is another ring for the macro. i guess some sort of spacer. (says MAG spacer) and goes from 1:2 all the way to 1:1 with a few options in between.
im going to have to find a manual for this thing online, as well as order a shutter cable for when i have it on the tripod.
cant wait to see what it will do. when I go to look for other lenses for this camera, what should I search under? apparently mamiya-sekor made lenses for a bunch of cameras.

Nice score - I've got a 645AFD which is my "I'm going out and having fun away from the world" camera. That Mamiya glass is awesome!

Sweet ride, what with the 80mm macro!!!! Lenses for this puppy are affordable.

Google lenses for Mamiya 645 + KEH.com and up comes a boatload of 'em!!!

Mamiya 645 Manual Focus - KEH.com

including the dedicated, purpose-built AUTO-Macro spacer for the 80mm f/4 lens....which is pretty damned expensive, unfortunately...I mean, it's seventeen dollars!!! And ten cents! $17.10. My gawd, that's like, almost a $20 bill!!! Mamiya 645 Manual Focus AUTO MACRO SPACER FOR 80MM F4 - KEH.com

I mean, that's like four gallons' worth of gasoline!

well...its not a Hasselblad, or a Contex, but im hoping that once i learn this camera it will produce some good quality images.
I did see the KEH list of lenses, and they are pretty inexpensive. Already ordered the macro spacer. although, not sure what difference it makes when the lens seems to have some form of spacer built in.

I wonder if we can somehow work this camera into weddings and/or portraits.

Also, does anyone know what flashes will be compatible with this camera?

Congrats!! This is my camera, as well. It came with a beat-up flash, I want to say it was an older Sunpak...it didn't even fire so it got pitched. Mine came with the faster 80mm f/1.9, non macro lens. I'm glad you also have the prism finder, which makes it slightly heavier but so easy to use. This is the camera that solidified my love for MF.

As Derrel notes there are several lenses available for this body. There is nothing wrong with Mamiya glass!

In addition to immediately adding the prism finder, I picked up the 150mm/3.5 and that's all I've added. This was the new lens test shot- this should do fine for wedding portraits:

sunflowerbud.jpg

Found the shot of all the lenses:

Mamiya6453.jpg

I think you're going to be very happy with it. Easiest thing in the world to use. Congrats!

the prism finder on mine looks different that the one in your picture. mine doesn't have the wheel on the side like yours does, and is much shorter. not sure what the difference is. definitely going to order a longer lens soon, but most of them are cheap enough that i will probably get a few. our local camera store only had B&W 120 film in stock so i just got one roll. (not a huge B&W fan) may have to order a few in color. may ebay a vivitar flash, 285HV or 383 for the swivel head.

IT'S BEEN YEARS since I have picked up and handled a 645 Mamiya...I "think" terri's prism has that dial on the side because it's a metering prism...not sure really. I'm much more-familiar with Bronica, which uses a similar type of system in which on the METERING prisms (there were both metering and non-metering eye-level prisms for many system cameras back in the day), there is an external shutter speed dial, which brings with it half-step, incremental shutter speed settings, and of course, its built-in light meter reads off the groundglass viewing and gives metering.

As for your macro lens...I cannot see any built-in spacer, but I do see the reproduction ratios engraved and painted in the green lettering; the ratios in green are for when the automatic extension tube is installed between the body and the 80mm macro lens.

I am sure you will like the 1000s. I did when I used to have one.
Years ago when I was in the studio business, I shot Hasselblad and picked up a 1000s to play with. At a wedding, I had a little time to use it and made a few test shots. Very sharp lens that was on it. For some reason I still think about the comparison between the 2 cameras. Same scene, flash used, and the 1000s outdid the Hassy for sharpness. Don't know why. I guess it was a good setup from lens to film but it did show a difference between the two.
I've recently been looking at the J model. I don't shoot fast speeds, so the J would suffice for me. I still have a darkroom and just recently bought a Nikon D90 to learn the digital way. I'm having a hard time with it though. Too many cobwebs in the brain.

Good luck with your venture and show us something soon.

Richard

Is it just me or has there been an upsurge in film cameras and the new interest in using such equipment.

There was a time when you couldn't give them away now the prices are shooting up.

Almost to a point where I see manufacturers bringing film back into producton.

Whilst digital is here and will always be until that is replaced, by what god knows, film, live records has really never died.

VHS, Betamax, tape, reel to reel has, but film stays with us.

Nice camera

Derrel said:
IT'S BEEN YEARS since I have picked up and handled a 645 Mamiya...I "think" terri's prism has that dial on the side because it's a metering prism...not sure really. I'm much more-familiar with Bronica, which uses a similar type of system in which on the METERING prisms (there were both metering and non-metering eye-level prisms for many system cameras back in the day), there is an external shutter speed dial, which brings with it half-step, incremental shutter speed settings, and of course, its built-in light meter reads off the groundglass viewing and gives metering.

As for your macro lens...I cannot see any built-in spacer, but I do see the reproduction ratios engraved and painted in the green lettering; the ratios in green are for when the automatic extension tube is installed between the body and the 80mm macro lens.

Thanks for the clarification on the finder and macro settings. I ordered the extension tube from KEH (for the whole $17) and i cant wait to try it out. Especially when i get some color fim.
I dont know if film as a whole is having a resurgence, but ive had a bug to try it for a while and just didnt have any interest in 35mm...dont know why medium format caught my attention, but the mamiya setup was surprisingly inexpensive so it gives me the chance to try it out. I suppose if i end up not liking it i can always toss it on the donation pile.

Derrel said:

Thanks for the clarification on the finder and macro settings. I ordered the extension tube from KEH (for the whole $17) and i cant wait to try it out. Especially when i get some color fim.
I dont know if film as a whole is having a resurgence, but ive had a bug to try it for a while and just didnt have any interest in 35mm...dont know why medium format caught my attention, but the mamiya setup was surprisingly inexpensive so it gives me the chance to try it out. I suppose if i end up not liking it i can always toss it on the donation pile.
Well, if you're shooting weddings then MF makes more sense, as you must be prepared to get enlargements if the client asks - especially if you do any bridal portraits with it. B&W always *gets* to people, and weddings and B&W film are by themselves a good marriage. I'm just basing these comments on my own experience with weddings, which only went on for 5-6 years before it got too heavy. :) But they can be moneymakers if you offer different things.

Derrel, yes, my prism finder is a metering one as the dial controls the meter when engaged to the camera body, and the camera's metering dial must be disengaged. I haven't even thought about it since attaching it - that's the way I always shoot it! :) More than likely it's a similar setup with your Bronica.

terri said:
Well, if you're shooting weddings then MF makes more sense, as you must be prepared to get enlargements if the client asks - especially if you do any bridal portraits with it. B&W always *gets* to people, and weddings and B&W film are by themselves a good marriage. I'm just basing these comments on my own experience with weddings, which only went on for 5-6 years before it got too heavy. :) But they can be moneymakers if you offer different things.

Derrel, yes, my prism finder is a metering one as the dial controls the meter when engaged to the camera body, and the camera's metering dial must be disengaged. I haven't even thought about it since attaching it - that's the way I always shoot it! :) More than likely it's a similar setup with your Bronica.

We will need some practice time i think, just to get the process down good. And maybe order a longer lens, or the faster 80mm..or both. We have a wedding in February, so hopefully we can incorporate the mamiya into some of the bridal portraits, or even engagement portraits.

well...its not a Hasselblad, or a Contex, but im hoping that once i learn this camera it will produce some good quality images.
I did see the KEH list of lenses, and they are pretty inexpensive. Already ordered the macro spacer. although, not sure what difference it makes when the lens seems to have some form of spacer built in.

I wonder if we can somehow work this camera into weddings and/or portraits.

It uses film so it would take identical pictures as all those bodies as long as the same film and lens were being used.

Most reactions

Back