• GX680

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've narrowed it down now to two, but one's a new contender. If you had to choose one, which would it be and why? Thanks, guys.

Tough call - it really depends on what you plan to shoot. The Fuji wins on overall cool points, and that front adjustment would be great for landscapes and architecture, BUT... there's way more glass available for the RB, and of course the ability to switch between landscape and portrait without actually moving the camera is VERY useful... I think the only sensible is one of each!

I like your thinking, John! Decided, I have! RB for now, GX later. One Hasselblad fit digital back, adapters for both. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! WOOHOO

One of EACH!!!! Genius!

I dunno...back in the late 1990's I was thiiiiiis close to buying a Fuji. Such a cool system! The Mamiya is the more practical choice I suppose, but the movements of the Fuji were/are intriguing, as well as the cool format it shoots. I think you saw the DIY pseudo technical camera link for the Fuji, or was that unpopular (the TPF member known as unpopular). I posted a link to a cool web site where the OP there has taken a Fuji and managed to adapt his d-slr to the rear standard, and does some fun stuff with the front movements.

That's gotta be Unpopular, but I'm gonna go look for it now. I would love to try that. Those front movements are just so freaking cool-like having a monorail camera that shoots 120! AND can be adapted for digital (back or DSLR)!!!! I think that's about as cool as they get, honestly. I hate saying this, but I think I'm happy that I opened my mind to systems other than Hasselblad.

If you want movements and the 'cool factor' why not get a 4x5 and a roll film back?

A Crown Graphic, 6x9mm roll back and a 90mm lens will come in under $500 at KEH and you can shoot 4x5 with it too. Admittedly you'd want a different lens if you wanted movements at 4x5.

Oh man, what a choice!

I've already got two Mamiyas and my knees kind of go weak at bellows, so I'd totally have the Fuji for myself.

Oh, you wanted an answer for what YOU should get? ;) I'd probably go for the Mamiya. John and Derrel already mentions - more glass, more portability, more flexibility in kinds of pictures you can take.

But lord, that Fuji!

The Fuji truly was a studio camera. It's an orphan system that even Fuji won't service--an issue since most on the market are heaviliy used. Mamiya RB67, Pro S and Pro SD stuff is common as dirt by comparison and far less complex come repair time. Want movements? Get a 4x5

The Phase One (or Leaf 17wi) is the plan, too. ;) A Hassy version, with adapters for both cameras.

As for why I don't get a 4x5... I don't have a good reason. I'm just not on that level yet, and would like to play with the Fuji first. I like the convenience the Fuji offers and, for what you get, a rather compact size. I don't even have ROOM to use a 4x5, sadly. :(

If Fuji won't touch them, maybe I'm better off sticking with the RB for now and just getting a digital back a little sooner.

The Phase One (or Leaf 17wi) is the plan, too. ;) A Hassy version, with adapters for both cameras.

As for why I don't get a 4x5... I don't have a good reason. I'm just not on that level yet, and would like to play with the Fuji first. I like the convenience the Fuji offers and, for what you get, a rather compact size. I don't even have ROOM to use a 4x5, sadly. :(

If Fuji won't touch them, maybe I'm better off sticking with the RB for now and just getting a digital back a little sooner.

Once you get hold of a 4x5 they start to make a lot of sense, all you are really doing with one is taking an invisible box that is the depth of field and moving it this way and that to get what you want.

The RBs are photo taking machines. Don't ask one to be something it's not and you will be more than happy with what it is.

Well, I took back the RB. There were too many issues with the lenses. Instead, I think I'm going with an RZ-if I wanna do digital, there's no way to do both that and use remote flash (hell, any flash) with the RB, and the RZ has a hot shoe. I think I'll be happier this way.

Well, I took back the RB. There were too many issues with the lenses. Instead, I think I'm going with an RZ-if I wanna do digital, there's no way to do both that and use remote flash (hell, any flash) with the RB, and the RZ has a hot shoe. I think I'll be happier this way.

The PC port for the flash is on the lens.

Leaf shutters donchyaknow. ;)

Let me dig out my second body and make sure that I still have an extra 90mm. I can probably make you a deal to get you started if you like.

Most reactions

Back