Mammatus Clouds

pez

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed these Mammatus clouds overhead in advance of an approaching storm, as I was leaving for work, and had to get a few frames.

18978140320_5921502321_o.jpg

19160077082_8d0f072243_o.jpg

However, a third frame had a curious anomaly:
19169353111_9aaf40f2e8_o.jpg

detail:
19160076772_d9fc3a7dab_o.jpg

Whatzit?

f8, ISO100, 1/200sec, no high winds at ground level. Perhaps a diving bird or (crazy fast) insect?

Cool! I don't believe I've ever noticed this type of cloud before.

I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society
I noticed these Mammatus clouds overhead in advance of an approaching storm, as I was leaving for work, and had to get a few frames.

18978140320_5921502321_o.jpg

19160077082_8d0f072243_o.jpg

However, a third frame had a curious anomaly:
19169353111_9aaf40f2e8_o.jpg

detail:
19160076772_d9fc3a7dab_o.jpg

Whatzit?

f8, ISO100, 1/200sec, no high winds at ground level. Perhaps a diving bird or (crazy fast) insect?
I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society web site (I'm not kidding), which is international in membership and based in England. They have a cloud photo contest, cloud identification wheel, and a great book on clouds which I bought from them. I first noticed this organization while on the Dull Men's Club site (also not kidding) which is also worth a visit.

That's really interesting. You shot at a 200th so it had to be going pretty fast to get that kind of motion blur.

Curious indeed.
I can't figure it out. It may or may not have had an arcing trajectory, as this was a zoom lens at 18mm, so there was barrel distortion.

Mammatus clouds are the coolest!

I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society
I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society web site (I'm not kidding), which is international in membership and based in England. They have a cloud photo contest, cloud identification wheel, and a great book on clouds which I bought from them. I first noticed this organization while on the Dull Men's Club site (also not kidding) which is also worth a visit.
I will check it out, lol

RE: that weird black artifact: f/8 at 1/200 at 18mm....looks like 1) a piece of lint on the sensor or 2) a dark-colored insect flying rapidly by, perhaps a bee or hoverfly. Does it look a bit like transparent wings there at the bottom end of the blur? Kind of does to me.

RE: that weird black artifact: f/8 at 1/200 at 18mm....looks like 1) a piece of lint on the sensor or 2) a dark-colored insect flying rapidly by, perhaps a bee or hoverfly. Does it look a bit like transparent wings there at the bottom end of the blur? Kind of does to me.

I'd say definitely no to the lint-on-sensor, due to it's in no other frames and the fact that I've never seen debris on the sensor look like that. Yep, all I can come up with is maybe a diving bird, or a really fast insect. 1/200 @ 18mm should capture more than a blur from either of those things, though.
edit: also, the WR lens has been on the WR body for weeks.

Someone or.................. something is out there.

Well, I don't discount that it may be something unusual. I know that insects close to the camera can look like "rods" in certain conditions, due to rolling shutter effects in video, but this is not video.

Most reactions

Back