Man do I love my local camera shop.

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, they have some much stuff out and about in there, I find myself walking around wishing I had even half of it. Then you look at their camera wall's, which they have broken up by brand, and just drool over the bodies and lenses.
On top of all that the staff is awesome, and after building a rapport with with them, they will go out of their way to hook you up.

Next thing I wanted to say is how funny it is to see the Active Topics list and be able to predict at least 2 of the threads in there will be from Sunny or Jeffielove:lol:

Nothing beats a good local camera shop - or infact any good local retailer! Sadly my very local is not that impressive - lots of older 35mm stuff on display and loads of prints, but the keeper just doesn't seem to have much life to him or keeness....

As for regular appearing new shooters I'm glad for it :) I really prefer people who stick around and stuff rather than the one post wonders who appear for 10-20 posts and are never seen again. You just never know if they got any further or if that wall of text you posted was even read ;)

Oh man.. I know what you are talking about!

I got out of my way to visit a local camera shop (near work). One of the few that are actually growing their business and you can immediately tell why the moment you step in.

I've walked out of that place a poor fellow on more than one occasion.

Yeah I just rented an SB-800 and the guy waved the deposit, gave it to me for $25 until Monday, threw in free software, then gave me a demonstration on some PS tricks.

We have 2 that are both great. One is kind of handy, not as much equipment in stock but has a studio they rent out and full print services. Great people.
The other looks like an old pawn shop and is full of equipment but no services. I can never get out of there in less than an hour.

All of my locals have closed, it was a very sad time ... I had 3 and they were all great. One of them the owner passed away and the wife didn't want to carry on with the business. The other two were both fell victim to the "it's the digital age and no one prints anything anymore" and "this economy sucks" phase that we are in .... between the 3 stores there was something like 125 years worth of business and lots, and lots of knowledgeable people.

Now, we are down to big box stores, national chains and one chain that is growing and getting too big for its own britches. I miss the corner camera shop and the old guy behind the counter who knew what he was doing and had been doing it for a long time.

My local shop is actually a nationwide chain. It's a Calumet store, and to be quite honest I don't really mind. Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Photography Equipment - CALUMET
They can offer good prices, have more resources, an incredible selection, and a vast array of services. The store here has a full rental department (anything you could want), a pro studio for rent, a print shop, a sales shop with everything, a repair shop, and they offer monthly in house courses on various topics.

The people there are just super nice.

See, with the National chains it's hit or miss based on the store ... some stores have staff members who know their stuff ... others, well they have clerks (and Mallrats, and I bet someone is Chasing Amy).

Yeah, especially some place like Best Buy.

But I think for a dedicated shop, they usually hire people in the know. This Calumet doesn't have any young kids in there just for fill, they have some experienced photographers, who will show you their portfolios at the drop of a hat :lol: (and make me feel like a noob with a P&S simultaneously)

sadly my main man recently departed this world for the great darkroom in the sky, but he ran his shop/business for fifty years, and his father for decades before that (his 'Magic'' slide-lantern was still on display behind the counter). when digital began to dominate everything, he started to loose interest in the biz. i walked in his shop once and he and his assistant were playing football (soccer) with..i think it was a Nikon D70 ;-)

one only had to mention the words ''Zeiss Ikon''..he'd go all misty eyed!

*is going to act like she didn't read the last line of the first post*

So sue me for being a noob and asking questions ;) At least I'm trying to learn and (I think) getting better :) And so is Sunny :) As soon as she realizes her camera isn't broken, and she just needs to go step by step :)

Punk.

the problem with you is that you use the same 2 smilies in every post ;):D:thumbdown:

as for camera shops, there are 3 of them 1 is super small and stocks nothing, and prices are 20 percent higher than anywhere else.

another shop carries a decent amount of stuff but they dont do in house black and white developing.

my main shop is fricken huge, stocks alot of stuff, has lots of expired 3 dollar film, in house developing, they have all kinds of used stuff, alot of their store is empty and its still huge. they have a bunch of print stations and the best part, they base their prices of bhphoto, they match their prices which is pretty rare. their rentals are also reasonable

Most reactions

Back