Manual Focus

I grew up using manual focus, did it from 1969 into the late 90's, shooting sports wasn't a challenge as there wasn't an option. I use auto focus the majority of the time now. Every now and then I take out my old 400 2.8 on the 1Dx and play around, I find it more challenging now, but I also find myself more connected to photography again.

I used to want to use Manual focus lenses.
Then my eyes have gone bugga-boo
So AF is the only way to go just to be safe
But I do like the Focus Override on modern AF-S lenses which is great to shot through/past things in the way (like a soccer net shooting a player past the net).

My eye site is not so good. I use auto focus exclusively.

For me it is the AF most of the time. Falling light is when I turn to have a tweak at the MF, but then I do not have any exclusive MF lenses, maybe I should.

As with others, AF except for macro work. With film cameras I never had autofocus lenses, so when I switched to DSLR's I wanted to use manual focus, but the viewfinders are not as good, so I tried AF and found it worked well. For macro, I use Live View at 5x magnification to focus.

I tend to use manual unless I'm only taking snaps. Despite the amazing technological achievement in making it work as well as it does, I still don't find it sufficiently reliable.

AF most of the time. "Kind of manual" with macro since I will preset the focus point and move the camera to get the focus. However, I still use the center focus "BEEP" to confirm. But in some situation, I found pre-focus works better (i.e. Just shoot when subject enter the focus plane/zone)

I've experimented with auto and manual focus and find autofocus in my modern camera is very close to being as good as manual except for macros and focusing past a closer object, like a fence. Using the screen and blowing up the view you can see little difference between manual and auto focus.

Most reactions

Back