Manual mode and auto mode switch question

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been experimenting with manual mode in camera and was wondering which mode I should the lens be on. Mode A or mode M when using manual setting in camera. I have attached pics of the modes I am referring to.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413650184.694007.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413650200.674310.jpg

M on the lens means manual focus.

M on the camera means manual exposure.

You can use either one with or without the other. Doing both manually will be a lot of work, at least it'll seem like that initially.

Focusing a modern camera manually is tough. You should seek camera-specific guidance if you're interested in trying it.

Yes - they are two unrelated settings. Nikons have a rangefinder feature that will tell you when a subject is in focus; focus is indicated by a small green dot at the bottom left the viewfinder. It is a real help when using manual focus.

M on the lens means manual focus.

M on the camera means manual exposure.

You can use either one with or without the other. Doing both manually will be a lot of work, at least it'll seem like that initially.

Focusing a modern camera manually is tough. You should seek camera-specific guidance if you're interested in trying it.

Thanks photoguy for clarifying and yes it's a little tough for me, but hopefully through trial and error I will learn.

Yes - they are two unrelated settings. Nikons have a rangefinder feature that will tell you when a subject is in focus; focus is indicated by a small green dot at the bottom left the viewfinder. It is a real help when using manual focus.

Thanks snowbear for that bit of info much appreciated. I need lots of practice!

Thanks photoguy for clarifying and yes it's a little tough for me, but hopefully through trial and error I will learn.
You can eliminate a lot of trial and error by reading user manuals. Indeed, that's why they are included with camera gear.
The user manual for the lens and the user manual for the camera explain both of those settings.

You can eliminate a lot of trial and error by reading user manuals. Indeed, that's why they are included with camera gear.
The user manual for the lens and the user manual for the camera explain both of those settings.

Thanks kmh and you are right :)

I'll suggest to leave your lens on A mode. Explore Av mode on camera. Then TV mode and lastly move to M. I.e. It's good to appreciate Av & TV mode before moving to M mode. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll suggest to leave your lens on A mode. Explore Av mode on camera. Then TV mode and lastly move to M. I.e. It's good to appreciate Av & TV mode before moving to M mode. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks and that is what I decided to do and used the lens on A mode, the lens on M mode is harder to focus at least for me anyways.

To translate Vince's post into Nikonese: Av = A (Aperture priority) and Tv = S (Shutter Speed priority). ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back