Manual Mode

MariaBee2013

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok. I need some (alot of) help using Manual mode. I have a Nikon d3000, the kit lens (18-55) and a 55-200 VR. Let me start off with saying..I have no clue what I'm doing. Yeah.

When I used Manual mode inside, with the camera on M, but the lens on A (I forgot to change it), I could see the picture on the LCD after I took it, but I couldn't focus. When I use the camera and lens, both on M, I not only can't focus, but can't see the picture at all (I can see it thru the viewfinder, just not after I take it). It's almost completely black.

I'm going to a concert on Saturday and I MIGHT buy a 50mm 1.8 or MAYBE a 1.4 before then, but they still won't do me any good if I can't focus in Manual, since they don't have AF on my camera.

So, would anyone like to explain in simple terms what settings I need to put the camera in, and, if you're feeling generous, help me with focusing in Manual. Thanks in advance!!

Manual on the lens is different than manual on the camera. Ready your manual!

Manual on the lens is only for focusing, Manual for the camera is to set your aperture, speed, ISO etc. instead having the camera select it for you.

Thats why they call it a "Manual" so you can go Manual Mode? :lmao:

......So, would anyone like to explain in simple terms what settings I need to put the camera in, and, if you're feeling generous, help me with focusing in Manual. Thanks in advance!!
It's not anywhere that cut and dried, that anyone can tell you what settings you need to use, because it depends on
  • how much light there is
  • how much, if any, movement there is in a scene
  • and what artistic technical effects you want, like a sharply focused subject but a very blurry background (shallow depth-of-field), or a lanscape shot having everything in focus (deep depth-of-field).
So you need to spend some time and effort doing some learning:

1. Read the users manual (on the white disc) so you know what all the controls and menu options do
  2. Learn about auto focus: Understanding Camera Autofocus
  3. Learn about shutter speed: Shutter speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. Learn about lens aperture and depth-of-field: Aperture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
  5. Learn about camera ISO: (Don't get fooled by the title) Film speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  6. And lastly learn about camera metering: Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure
Have fun!

Last edited:
Don't waste your money on a lens until you know what you are doing, if you havn't read the manual you have no chance on Saturday of shooting in low light

Are you inside the minimal focusing distance for your lenses?
Have you read your manual?
Have you turned off the AF Assiantance Illuminator?
Did you check the Preview button?
What was indicated for exposure in your viewfinder?
Have you tried to crank the ISO up?

BTW, Have you read your manual?

Last edited:
go out and start shooting! experiment with M mode and eventually u'll get the hang of it!

shoot shoot shoot!!!

Your D3000 is a modern marvel of technology. It knows more about photography than you will know for quite some time. Why in the world do you want to treat it like a 60 year old camera?
For the same reason that even though almost every electronic device in the world has a calculator we still teach children the multiplication tables. To get the most out of something, you need to understand the basics.

...Shooting in Manual teaches you nothing. It doesn’t teach you anything about exposure. It only teaches you how to follow a meter.
That sounds like something to me...

There is no way manual mode will ever teach you WHY the meter is sometimes right and sometimes wrong. And frankly, the things it will teach you are things that you really don't need to be learning at this time.
When do you suggest someone become familiar with the basics?

First, set your lens to A. You can’t focus your camera manually. Your D3000 wasn’t meant to be focused manually, so don’t even try.
Modern DSLRs are meant to use auto-focus as the primary method, but you can most certainly manually focus them. Not as easily as 30 year old film camera, but you can do it.

Next, start using the scene modes. That will get you good pics immediately that you’ll be happy with. See pages 30, 31 of your manual for the description of the scenes.
Maybe...

But whatever you do, avoid Manual mode like the plague. You’ll never take a pic you’ll like...at least not for good long while.
Absolute ********! I routinely teach students the basics of exposure, manual metering, and the exposure triangle to the point where they can take acceptable photographs in full manual in a half day.

You may not like manual mode; you may not use it; that's fine. Telling someone else not to use or to be scared of it? NOT fine.

Your D3000 is a modern marvel of technology. It knows more about photography than you will know for quite some time. Why in the world do you want to treat it like a 60 year old camera?

I know you want to learn. But don’t you also want to take nice pictures NOW? Shooting in Manual teaches you nothing. It doesn’t teach you anything about exposure. It only teaches you how to follow a meter. There is no way manual mode will ever teach you WHY the meter is sometimes right and sometimes wrong. And frankly, the things it will teach you are things that you really don't need to be learning at this time.

First, set your lens to A. You can’t focus your camera manually. Your D3000 wasn’t meant to be focused manually, so don’t even try.

Next, start using the scene modes. That will get you good pics immediately that you’ll be happy with. See pages 30, 31 of your manual for the description of the scenes.

Now you can take your time to learn how to use you camera. Set the selector to the Guide mode and follow the guide. Read up on Guide Mode on page 35 of your manual. You're camera knows a lot and it's built to teach. Take advantage of it. After all...you did pay all that money for it!

But whatever you do, avoid Manual mode like the plague. You’ll never take a pic you’ll like...at least not for good long while.

I don't know that I'd go this far, but I basically agree. How many good drivers really understand what goes on under the hood? Start out slow -- learn how to get good images using the automatic functions. Then slip over to the functions that are semi-automatic (aperture priority/shutter priority). When you're comfortable with those, then you might consider playing with manual.

As for AF vs MF ... You most certainly can manual focus, but it isn't easy. In the day where everything was MF, we had special focusing screens which made it easy. These are options on today's cameras(e.g. http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/ )and it is tougher. MF is a lot easier with live-view where you can blow things up as you focus them.

The problem with going manual too early is that you are likely going to get frustrated with your image quality and give up. Don't do that.

Thanks for the advice..I have read the manual, but I guess not as intensely as I should've. Thanks again!

That's just ridiculous.

When I got my first SLR, "Manual" was the only option available. Funny thing..... I got a few pictures I liked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back