• Automatic

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

NCspotter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most photographers seem to like to be in complete control of their camera when shooting, so I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone's preferences are when it comes to the transmissions in their cars. Would you rather be in complete control via the good old clutch pedal? Or do you prefer to have the car shift itself?

auto. Manual transmissions only belong in sports cars and semi trucks.

you forgot the third option.

both.

some modern autos can be shifted manually as well.

I will drive a manual transmission for as long as I have a working left foot.

Automatic: Heavy stop-and-go traffic
Manual: "Fun" roads, any car I don't want my lovely wife to drive
Doesn't matter: Open highway

Either one....have had both, 4- and 5-speed manual, 3 and 4 speed automatics...the manual transmission is a regal PITA in heavy traffic at rush hour, really a biatch...on heavy equipment like tractors and combines, there's big benefit to the hydrostatic drive automatics that allow infinitely variable gear selection, and since the machine is almost always operating at one, set engine RPM all day long, the "automatic" hydrostatic is a huge boost for getting exactly the right speed over ground.

Automatic: Heavy stop-and-go traffic
Manual: "Fun" roads, any car I don't want my lovely wife to drive
Doesn't matter: Open highway

Haha, This is totally me^^

I have nightmares about being stuck in traffic with a manual lol The worst was a 10 spd manual through busy downtown...DOUBLE CLUTCHING every gear!

Anyhow, I've driven most anything manual, 3 spd, 4 spd, 5 spd, 6 spd, 7 Spd, 10 spd, Super 10, 13 Spd, 18 spd. About the same for auto, 3 spd, 4 spd, my current truck is 5 spd, the wife's is an 8 spd auto.

My car has both auto and manual without the foot shift as many cars have today. When I'm slowing down, I often down shift before braking. But rarely upshift when speeding up, rather leaving that part for auto. In the snow I up shift to 2nd before starting.

A manual in traffic is a pain, yes, but I don't care. It's only a few times a year I have to deal with it, and in exchange for that trouble, I get something that is a major advantage driving on snowy roads during these Northeast winters.

And the rest of the time, it's just a lot more fun! :D

I drove an automatic for a couple of years and hated it. And every time I have to drive a rental car in this country, I hate it all over again.

Manually shifting autos isn't the same as a manual in my opinion. A lot of modern gear boxes will automatically upshift you into the next gear if you stay in too low of a gear for too long.

Anyhow, It's okay, but it's just not the same feel.

Manually shifting autos isn't the same as a manual in my opinion. A lot of modern gear boxes will automatically upshift you into the next gear if you stay in too low of a gear for too long.

Anyhow, It's okay, but it's just not the same feel.

My 2012 Acura TL automatically upshifts even in manual. But my 2006 Acura TSX allows me to stay in whatever gear I want from 1st to 5th and shift accordingly. The TXS is better in that sense than the TL. However, with the TL, you can shift to a manual drive type selection and then shift into whatever gear. Problem is going from one car to the other, I forget what I'm suppose to do. Fortunately there's no foot shift or I'd blow the transmission altogether.

this really is a tough question. Like i will never again own a pickup with a manual transmission. Ones i have now are automatics, which i much prefer. After having two manuals, really just all set. ON the other hand, i couldn't ever imagine owning mustang or sports car that had a automatic transmission. Totally depends on vehicle/use. I think when i was younger i thought they were "more fun" but i might have outgrown that stage now. It would have to be a certain type of vehicle for me to buy a manual transmission. Use of the vehicle comes to mind..

I really don't care one way or the other. I've owned both. In theory I'd prefer the newer transmissions with no foot clutch pedal shifting paddles, where you can also put it into automatic if you want. But in reality it's just not something that matters to me.

I learned on an old car my father had that had a manual shift, so it is just second nature, and I did it in NYC, so shifting in traffic is also second nature. I find that on ice and snow I have much better control.

auto. Manual transmissions only belong in sports cars and semi trucks.

you forgot the third option.

both.

some modern autos can be shifted manually as well.
True manual transmissions - those with three pedals - require manual shifting, whereas anything with two pedals - even something like a modern Ferrari - does not require you to shift, so I consider them automatics.

I learned on an old car my father had that had a manual shift, so it is just second nature, and I did it in NYC, so shifting in traffic is also second nature. I find that on ice and snow I have much better control.
this is true to a extent. But if you have a choice between a awd traction control automatic subaru and a fwd mazda standard you might be better off picking the subaru. Two cars i have ever been off the road with in the winter were both standards. As isuzu and a nissan. Neither was awd or four wheel drive, both sucked tremendously on ice and snow. Better than the mustangs though i couldnt even get them out of the driveway sometimes.

Most reactions

Back