Manual or Automatic?

Manual or Automatic?

• Manual

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Both my Mustangs have auto's but my 88 vert 5.0 is getting a B&M ratchet shifter for the AOD so I can shift like a manual. I might go to a T-5 manual when I upgrade my 85 4-banger to a 5.0.

Convert the 4 banger to a 2.3T w/5 spd :) I used to have an 85 SVO and it was a blast. If you do this, install a Pro 5.0 short throw shifter.

Anyhow, make sure the B&M comes with a reverse lock out...don't want to get carried away slamming gears and accidentally shift into reverse. I've used a number of B&M shifters, my favorite was the Pro Stick

A 4-banger turbo has crossed my mind. When I look for a donor car next year I'll keep an eye out for a T-Bird Super Coupe turbo for power train. :headbang:
And the B&M shifter I bought for the does have the reverse lock out.

87-88 TC....these come with intercoolers for one thing and better ECMs. You will want an Auto ECM if you plan to run an auto or Manual ECM for manual gear box.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if their still around but there used to be a site called Turboford.org. These guys know this swap blind folded! The 2.3T is a fun motor, almost bullet proof as well. I ported my head, installed a roller cam, port matched intakes, installed a 3" down pipe with 3" exhaust. Just say I upset a couple 5.0 Stangs in my day with that setup :)
Those are the ones to seek out. I'm on foureyedpride web site, they have an entire section dedicated to SVO's and turbo's so I'll have lots of help. I could just rebuild the 2.3 in there now and add a turbo.

I new a guy who installed a cam and a 75 shot on a naturally aspirated 2.3 and it was quick :cool-98:

Are we considering A, S, and P modes auto?
The way I look at it is, anything that doesn't require manual intervention (such as a car with paddle shifters or Tiptronic shifter) is not a manual transmission. Almost every single car produced today with an automatic transmission has some form of a "sport" or "manual" mode, yet hardly anyone uses these features...why should they count as manuals?

Are we considering A, S, and P modes auto?
The way I look at it is, anything that doesn't require manual intervention (such as a car with paddle shifters or Tiptronic shifter) is not a manual transmission. Almost every single car produced today with an automatic transmission has some form of a "sport" or "manual" mode, yet hardly anyone uses these features...why should they count as manuals?

Agreed.

Sport shifting automatic gear boxes is fun but it's not the same as full manual shifting. You're just bumping gears in an auto. Manual shifting requires a little more thought and effort. For one thing, you have to apply the clutch just to start the vehicle. You also have to apply the clutch AND the brake at the same time in order to stop in gear. If not, the vehicle will stall and die. You can clutch and put the vehicle in neutral and then use only the brake to stop the vehicle. The problem with this, especially on larger vehicles like semi tractors is they use the load/gearing to help slow the vehicle. That is just starting and stopping the vehicle. You don't have to do any of this in an Automatic, even if you're sport shifting. You have to balance the clutch and accelerator in order to shift gears. All you have to do is bump an automatic shift once it reaches a desired rpms.

Manual gear boxes have fewer spinning parts as well and thus use less energy to spin. You can generally see a 10-15% power loss with a manual and 15-20% loss with an automatic. Thats about 20-30 hp difference between a manual and automatic 400hp car.

Manual.

And to everyone who thinks there auto has a manual mode. It doesn't. There are only a few cars out there with real deal dual clutch trannys.

Quite happy with the 6 speed manual box fitted to my Landrover thanks .....my wife's BMW 120 coupe wouldn't be the same as an automatic, great fun to fling around English country roads!

Quite happy with the 6 speed manual box fitted to my Landrover thanks .....my wife's BMW 120 coupe wouldn't be the same as an automatic, great fun to fling around English country roads!
You guys on the other side of the pond get the best cars. If I'm remembering correctly, there are only four vehicles which could be considered as SUVs offered with manual transmissions here, and all of them except the Jeep Wrangler only offer the stick on one or two trim levels.

If I'm remembering correctly, there are only four vehicles which could be considered as SUVs offered with manual transmissions here, and all of them except the Jeep Wrangler only offer the stick on one or two trim levels.
Because SMs down want manuals when they are mall crawling.

Bear in mind though that the aforesaid Landrover is also a turbocharged diesel....I believe most North American ones are petrol engined.
landy.jpg

Last edited:
Bear in mind though that the aforesaid Landrover is also a turbocharged diesel....I believe most North American ones are petrol engined.
Yep that's correct. I'm sure the fuel economy is fantastic in yours....not so much on the ones here.

Yep that's correct. I'm sure the fuel economy is fantastic in yours....not so much on the ones here.
Neither it seems is the quality. However I get that second hand from owners I know. Never owned one myself.

Of course if anyone knows where I can get a well maintained, good condition say 1955ish Range Rover, I would love to know.

I've never driven automatic

What about CVT,or auto with manual valve body?
I have a CVT. It's ok. Definitely feels different driving. You have to get used to smooth transitions when shifting.

My Subie has paddle shifters, which are pretty neat. I use them probably once a year, haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back