Manual Setting

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by settons, Aug 29, 2008.

1. settons

settons TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys,

I just got my new DSLR (Canon 40D - first timer) and I’m going away this weekend to do lots of hiking and plan on taking tons of pictures. I haven’t had a lot of time to play around with the Manual setting, but I really want to use it.

Can someone give me a starting point of where I should set all the setting (ISO, aperture, etc) to? I’m not sure what information I should give. It is supposed to be sunny this weekend and all the shots will be outdoors. The lens that I will be using is the 17-85mm kit lens.

This newbie would love some of your veteran wisdom.

Thanks in advance. I will be sure to post pics next week.

Thanks,

Dave

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There isn't really a 'starting point' for settings; they are all dependant on the situation. My recommendation would to read the manual thoroughly (It will give you a good explanation of all of the settings and their relationship to each other) and to use the camera in the Auto/Program mode until you're used to the basics of focusing nad composing a shot.

As a VERY rought guidline for outdoor shooting, set your ISO to it's lowest possible setting (This will minimize the noise in your image) and expect to use shutter speeds of around 1/250 at f11 (I belive your camera's lowest ISO is 100, however if it's 200, then it will be more like 1/125 at f11). This is however just a guide, NOT a recommendation.

Good luck

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As mentioned, we can't really give you manual setting. You will have to figure that out when you are shooting.

So why is it that you want to shoot in manual? There is no difference between a shot taken in manual and a shot taken in any of the auto modes, provided that the settings are the same.

When shooting in manual, you should probably still use the camera's built-in light meter. You don't need to pick settings at random.

The benefit of manual mode, is that the settings are not tied to the meter reading, although you can still use the meter as a guide. You can do basically the same thing in the auto modes by using EC (exposure compensation) to move the exposure away from the meter reading.

My suggestion would be to try out Av & Tv modes and keep an eye on the settings. Then switch to manual if you like.

4. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wouldn't those speeds be the other way around for if his lowest ISO were 200?

But you were right, the lowest is 100 on the 40d.

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Which auto settings are you refering to?
    I suggest reading up and using aperture priority mode (av on the dial). This lets you set your aperture and have the camera select a shutter speed based on the aperture and ISO setting you select. Its the mode many photographers sit in most of the time, since it allows for control of the depth of field whilst also being quick enough to adapt to changes in lighting - full manual mode is best for set conditions where you have a moment to set the settings to get a specific effect. Walking in manual requires one to always be looking at the light around them and to be changing the settings manualy - not good for quick sudden captures.

6. settons

settons TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the tips, I will use them!

7. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Bleah... apparently my mind is elsewhere today...

Bright sunny day:

1/250 @ f11 for ISO 100

1/500 @ f11 for ISO 200

is what I meant to say... Thanks Tolyk.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
  9. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No worries man :) We all have days like that ;)