Manual Shooting... Noise???

davincisoprano1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting in manual for my class (Nikon D50) and I have found a lot of noise in my photos... and I'm not sure if I just have the settings wrong...

Unfortunately I can't provide more info right now because I'm busy on a project.... :(

but would anyone know why there is so much noise? Do I maybe have my ISO set too high?

If what your seeing actually is Noise then yes, you should firstly look at your ISO settings. To test, try shooting in "P" mode with the ISO locked at 100 or 200. You may need to set your camera on a tripod or table.

Noise is a result of higher ISO settings and poor exposure. Usually, you can get away with using a higher ISO if you nail the exposure.

Noise is a result of higher ISO settings and poor exposure. Usually, you can get away with using a higher ISO if you nail the exposure.

Just to expand a little on Mike's post, getting the exposure right in camera will reduce the noise a nice amount, especially in the shadowed or darker areas, but it won't totally eliminate it.

Raising ISO will always increase digital noise, but proper technique can lower it to the point that it potentially doesn't detract from the picture.

Don't forget that we can also always consider noise reduction software in those cases where even if we did everything right, ISO was so high that noise rises to unacceptable levels. Neat Image, Noise Ninja and others do admirable jobs of reducing noise.

thank you so much.... i looked at my camera and realized i had the ISO set to 1600 (or however high it can go) while messing around with manual....

so now i will try to reduce it.

Thank you so much for your help everyone :D

From what I have learned (or so I think) always use the lowest ISO that you can.
Adjust ap/shutter to get lowest.
please correct me if I am wrong

From what I have learned (or so I think) always use the lowest ISO that you can.
Adjust ap/shutter to get lowest.
please correct me if I am wrong
That is generally how I do it. I see what the ISO will give me at a given apeture as, far as shutter speed. If I can get decent settings then I may drop it more. If I dont get what I want I bump it up.

Most reactions

Back