Manual vs Automatic

Well I can see this place hasn't changed much. :) Personally, I like to manipulate my light. I tend to like a richer texture. To me, auto settings are flat. Sorry, that's just the way I see it. Some people have great luck with auto. I just like a bit more control.

Personally I insist on manipulating my exposures. I'm a stickler for precision and full control over every aspect of my photo. I use my camera's P(rogram) mode to achieve complete control. Do you not understand how your camera works?

Joe

Seriously guys. How long have you been shooting? I really don't want to argue. I will put my photos where my mouth is. Let people decide. I don't feel like getting bullied today. I was just here for fellowship.

Seriously guys. How long have you been shooting? I really don't want to argue. I will put my photos where my mouth is. Let people decide. I don't feel like getting bullied today. I was just here for fellowship.

OK, fine. But you jumped in here and made a silly statement that shouldn't go unchallenged.

Long shooting-- me, about 45 years -- 38 years now with photo my only source of income.

So to achieve all the stuff you think you need to get by having your camera in M, I get from my camera in P.

Joe

and P.S. welcome to TPF

I'm happy for you Joe. I also make my living in photography. Have a nice day. I do all kinds of photography. From Photojournalism to Fashion. None of it on (P)rofessional mode. Different strokes man.

Just saw the welcome. Thanks. Nice to be around a grumpy bunch of photo hounds. I mean that.

Where would you like me to start. You have eyes. Can you not see the difference?

can you help me out? My eyes can't quite tell here. One was shot in M, the other in A:

DSC_5392.jpg

DSC_5394.jpg

looks the same to me. I'm guessing (P)rofessional mode because the white are blown.

That's cause they are the same. I'm just as dumb as my camera.

upload_2016-8-24_18-12-34.png

and what would P mode have anything to do with blown white?

I spot metered on the white gauge on the power supply. It would have turned out the same in P.

My histogram also disagrees that the whites are blown... I have to increase the EV +2.05 before there's any clipping.

Well, let's see ... 2016 - 1964 is what, 52 years? And, yeah, I learned on a bunch of manual-only boxes to. These days I'm more than happy to let my camera do some of the thinking for me. Aperture priority, shutter priority, manual. I use all three as the situation dictates.

OH my god, you guys win. SHOOT P FOR PROFESSIONAL. IT'S LOVELY! SHOOT HOWEVER YOU WANT! If it pays the bills, I'm in awe.

If it achieves the exact same exposure settings as M, only quicker, why not?

Some of us that know how to use our tools understand that.

I own about $50 grand in camera gear. Tomorrow I might actually read the manuals. SHOOT HOW YOU WANT.

looks the same to me. I'm guessing (P)rofessional mode because the white are blown.

Hmmmm? Why would you say the whites are blown when they're not?

not_blown.jpg

Maybe you need some help from us (P)rofessionals.

Joe

Ok, I came here to encourage young up and comers, share some wisdom, and hang out and view the work of fellow photographers. So far I've had several posts dedicated to mocking me. Alrighty then. I'm not here to say what is right or wrong. I JUST GAVE MY OPINION. Can you please please please get off my back.

Ok, I came here to encourage young up and comers, share some wisdom, and hang out and view the work of fellow photographers. So far I've had several posts dedicated to mocking me. Alrighty then. I'm not here to say what is right or wrong. I JUST GAVE MY OPINION. Can you please please please get off my back.

Again welcome to TPF.

And you're entitled to your opinions but you're going to get called out when you say something that's wrong or doesn't make sense. You just did that -- more than once. So we're good right. Welcome and by all means encourage the noobs and share some pointers.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back