Marine Macro

maxalmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my second post since finding this forum. I'm pretty obsessed with marine macro photography and still learning. I'm using a Nikon D40 with a 105mm VR Macro lens, I'll be upgrading to a D300 or D700 by Dec 25th...

This is a zoanthid, the polyps are about .25" in size and this one was a royal pain to capture as the skirts kept moving around.
a007-2.jpg

And a few more.
Yellow polyps
DSC_00320001.jpg

a0040001-9.jpg

Blastomusa
b0030001-6.jpg

Yeah, wow. These are very nice! :)

The Colors are amazing, and the sharpness & DOF are good.

^^
what he said!
especially the Blastomusa with its green ripples!

Reading your intro post I take it these are shot through glass from your collection?
also I think you have a mark on either your camera sensor or lens - dust or a mark - in the upper righthand corner - its in all your shots that I can see.

^^
what he said!
especially the Blastomusa with its green ripples!

Reading your intro post I take it these are shot through glass from your collection?
also I think you have a mark on either your camera sensor or lens - dust or a mark - in the upper righthand corner - its in all your shots that I can see.

It's got to be on the sensor it self, otherwise it would vary in size as macro ratio changes, I see it too.

Great shots! That third one, of the peeking fish, is cute. "Can I help you?"

Wow, hundreds of images taken each week and I can't believe that I never noticed those marks/dust...

And yes, the images are shot thru 1/4" glass. I also have a larger tank thats constucted of starphire glass (low iron) it's an expensive specialty glass for reef tanks so that the coral colors don't get washed out, due to it's thickness 3/4" the corals look amazing, but almost impossible to capture any quality macro's.

Just got the Ok about 10 minutes ago to go ahead and order the D700, I'm going to try and attend some local classes or possibly do an online study course, I consider myself an "Ok" photographer, I have a good eye for composition, but still needing to master the camera controls. I no longer shot in full auto and have forced myself to shot in manual and it's taught me a considerable amount, especially with respect to DOF.

Here is another little gen, Ricordia from Florida. Very difficult to capture image, as the tentacles want to move around.
c0030001-1.jpg

Red Mushroom
a0180001-6.jpg

The ocean has some of the best looking and most interesting kinds of wildlife. colours are always amazing.

The new D700 arrived today and still trying to navigate thru all the settings, here are a few, not the best images....Give me a week to figure the camera out.

Zoanthids
f0070001.jpg

Umbrella Leather, these spikes are about 3/8" tall
g0080001.jpg

Still playing around with WB, colors are OK,not the best.
h0020001.jpg

I'm loving the "Live View" thru the 3" display screen, lets me digitally zoom in on macro shots to fine tune the focus.....love it love it love it.

These are Palythoa's
g0090001.jpg

This image above was cropped from the image below....The area is almost in the center, a little to the left and down about 1/4 of the way from the top.
g0090001_1.jpg

Impressive work :)
looks like someone is really having fun with the new toy ;)

might I suggest though - if you having white balance problems - when you get the time read up and try working in RAW mode - that way you can set the white balance in the computer yourself (shoot RAW+JPEG though to start with as RAW can take a little while to get used to)

I'm kinda throwing myself into the middle of all this..I'm totally new with all this digital techno "stuff", the D40 was pretty simple to use.....RAW is high on my list to figure out next...

1 thing at a time, right now my brain can't accept any more data...

Took a little trip over to the Bellagio Fountains.....Took 240 images and still downloading as I type...I think I have some incredible images, took me a few attempts to get the WB and ISO correct due to the brilliant lighting of the watershow....I'll post pics a little later

Most reactions

New Topics

Back