Mark G

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Digital Matt, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another shoot for musician promo shots, this time the subject is Nick Lachey, err, I mean Mark G, soon to be a graduate with a BFA in Music Performance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comments and Critiques wanted!

I know his nose breaks the plane of his face on #1, but I still think it's a strong image. I'm working on paying more attention to those details when shooting.

2. Tangerini

Tangerini TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are very nice!
    I agree that the first is a very strong image, the texture and softess really add a sentimental feel to the overall shot.
    My favorite is the third. The lighting, composition, pose... I can almost hear a soft bar from a solo.
    In the fourth, though, his right eye bothers me... it's not even the shadow, which I do think maybe a touch too dark (though I can see why the shadows would be desired due to moodiness), but the way his eye looks 1/4 closed.

3. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you Tangerini. I understand what you are saying abou the 4th one. That was really a candid shot. We had finished shooting, but still had things set up, and he was talking to my wife. He had stepped back a bit into the sunlight, and I snapped one. Then he looked up at me, and I snapped another. As we were all looking through them, that one jumped out. The more I look at it, the more I see things that are technically wrong with it, but it did immediately jump out at us, so I feel good about it somehow also. My next purchase is a large diffuser so I don't have to hide from the sun :p

Thanks for your comments :)

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My favorite from this series is the second shot. I enjoy it's overall mood.
    Just wish one of his eyes (at least) were not obscured.

5. brighteyesphotos

brighteyesphotos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Excellent shots. I ditto the comment about the second one. I'd rather the trumpet was lower so that we could see his eyes.

6. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

love the textures and the peaceful feeling of #1... #3 is just beautiful and #5 has a really cute expression even though he seems to be squinting a bit x

7. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

I like them all, but the last one prob my favorite its got color in it and seems more lifelike, although the first one is a classic hit !!! pardon the pun..

8. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great series Matt. Love No2.

9. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really love that first one and the 3rd one. I didn't even notice his nose breaking the plane of his face until you mentioned it because it was such a strong image. I love the contrast of his soft looking jacket against the smooth metal of his trumpet in this one.
    #3 is harder for me to pinpoint why I like it so much. Obviously it's got great lighting (no suprise coming from you!) I'm really glad that the shadowy side of his face has detail. I think I just like the fact that you got a shot of him playing his instrument.

10. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Matt can you share any tips on lighting. I've just purchased some lights and am hoping to start learning!

I bought 3 x Elinchron 400BX units with usual softbox/brollies and a Black/White reversible 7'x7'x8' backdrop. I wanted larger but the guy threw this in wit the lights and a few modifiers.

Looking forward to trying them out and starting my learning journey.

AllI need to buy is barndoors to control where I put the light and a perhaps a panel reflector. This will give me a backdrop light, a hair light and a mainlight with the reflector for fill.

Maybe too much too soon but I'llstart slow and see where it takes me.

11. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Nice!!!! Beautiful light as always!!!!!!! The first and third shots take the cake for me.

I can not stand his shirt. Stripes and patterns are tough in portraits like this. They seem distracting to me.

Love & Bass

12. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone! Craig, his shirt bothers me too, and I even instructed him not to wear any patterns, but to favor solid colors. He's comfortable in that shirt though, so I'd rather have a relaxed, confident subject and a few stripes than the other way around.

JD: Do you have a flash meter? Do you understand lighting ratios? That's the most important thing to learn. Getting good light is easy. You just have to build a light set up one light at a time. I know the look I want to get, and I place the lights accordingly, metering to create ratios that I know will give me that look. Once I have the light setup, and I know I'm getting that great light, the rest is just having fun interacting with the subject.