mark-up rate

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i sold 4 photos to person in my family today. But i havn't told them a price yet so i was wondering how i should mark them up? i have to get them printed so its about 5 bucks for a 8x10

I won't mark up anything I do for family (or for my church) - I charge them whatever the photos actually cost. For everyone else, I usually mark up 200%, or so, of what the item costs.

ya for close family i dont either i usually dont even charge for that but she is a distant cousin and my parentals told me to mark it up some

Don't mark up for family... but ask them if they could please tell everybody they know about your photography services. Think of it as "break-even" advertising.

Don't mark up for family... but ask them if they could please tell everybody they know about your photography services. Think of it as "break-even" advertising.

But make it clear they're getting it for nothing or cost. Otherwise any word of mouth advertising may make you look bad or greedy.

Your cousin says they got the prints for $5 (or whatever) and tells their friends. Their friends trhen come to you and ask for same size print and expect the same price. When you ask for more they may decide not to buy and you've already paid for the print.

its not a portrait or anything, its more of a artsy picture. its a picture of a butter fly on a flower

Great point!

I was almost caught out with this recently. 2 work colleagues wanted prints - 1 I'm quite friendly with, the other is purely a colleague. I sold 2 prints for different prices but told the one i'm friendly with that he was getting it cheap and not to tell the other colleague what he paid since she was paying more.

Last thing you need is for people to start thinking you're charging more to people you don't like.

It worked out fine for me - both loved their prints and i was happy to receive their money. But it's better to keep what you charge individuals a private matter so you don't look greedy or like you're ripping them off.

People don't mind paying for talent, or for you to make a profit but everyone hates being ripped off. That's a feeling no business needs!!!

Good luck!

But make it clear they're getting it for nothing or cost. Otherwise any word of mouth advertising may make you look bad or greedy.

I was almost caught out with this recently. 2 work colleagues wanted prints - 1 I'm quite friendly with, the other is purely a colleague. I sold 2 prints for different prices but told the one i'm friendly with that he was getting it cheap and not to tell the other colleague what he paid since she was paying more.

Last thing you need is for people to start thinking you're charging more to people you don't like.

It worked out fine for me - both loved their prints and i was happy to receive their money. But it's better to keep what you charge individuals a private matter so you don't look greedy or like you're ripping them off.

People don't mind paying for talent, or for you to make a profit but everyone hates being ripped off. That's a feeling no business needs!!!

Good luck!

it cost 5$ to get a 8x10 printed, i was thinking selling them for 10

what would be normal price for an unframed 8x10 i was thinking 15-20

Most reactions

New Topics

Back