Marketing and selling our form of art

Gosh, I wasn't expecting this much negative feedback. Maybe I need to step back and rethink.
I think part of the negative responses are because some of us approach photography as an artform and not necessarily as a business pursuit. I have to admit when I read your original post I rolled my eyes a little because it sounds so much like what I see in my area. People think they can buy a great kit and go out and shoot weddings or portraits and charge people upwards of 50 bucks a print.

For the type of photography you are doing the absolutly best and cheapest advertising is Word-Of-Mouth (WOM), which is effectively what the social networking is about.

I'm also a firm believer that if people will buy, you sell.

Oh no, I am making very sure people who ask me to shoot are working with a student photographer. I shoot first and then let people decided if they want to purchase. It also gives me a great way to try new mediums and styles. To me this isnt a get rich quick scheme. I am enjoying every minute, and learning a lot in the process. And oddly enough, I enjoy the pressure of trying my hardest to lay out every shot in my head and needing to be able to think on my feet. I don't mind the negative feedback, its C&C, I just don't want to be mistaken for someone who got into photography to make money and doesn't give a darn about developing their skills and techniques. I dont think I made that clear in the original post. And yes that's my logo on my fb page. Oh, and BTW, Im having a great time learning about marketing and setting up portfolios and such. I may not be great, but I am shure as heck learning new stuff I never would have otherwise.

Do you see the irony between the two paragraphs?

Yep

Oh no, I am making very sure people who ask me to shoot are working with a student photographer. I shoot first and then let people decided if they want to purchase.

I do not think that is the best way to go about it. Now if you have friends that want to help you and pose for free, in return they get the shots, thats a great way to learn and get to the point where you can charge.

Do you see the irony between the two paragraphs?

Yep

Oh no, I am making very sure people who ask me to shoot are working with a student photographer. I shoot first and then let people decided if they want to purchase.

I do not think that is the best way to go about it. Now if you have friends that want to help you and pose for free, in return they get the shots, thats a great way to learn and get to the point where you can charge.
Thats how I am doing my friends senior portraits. Im not charging, since I am very new to portraits. You can tell by my current work.

The first and most important person that you need to sell to is yourself.

If you don't believe that you and your product is worth spending money on, then good luck convincing anyone else.

Most reactions

Back