Marketing idea - a contest

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by msf, Mar 23, 2009.

1. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ive been trying to think of ways to market my services, and get my name out there.

One idea Ive had is to have a contest, where the grand prize winner would win a free portrait session, and a free 11x14 print. Runners up would win something as well, a coupon for something, with the purchase of a package. Im still working out the details.

I know some here shudder at the idea of giving away prints, but I think this would be a good way to get my name out there, and I would be able to collect contact information for future advertising.

So my main question would be: Is there anything I should be aware of? Especially legally. The main thing I am thinking of, do I need to have the drawing in a public area with witnesses, so no one thinks I chose a friend. I probably wont let any family participate, just to be safe, that or do a 2nd drawing if a family member wins.

Have anyone here tried anything like this?

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What kind of contest are you talking about? A photo contest?

What if the winner's work was better than yours?
    (I don't know how much of a risk that would be for you (not familiar with your work), but it sure would be embarrassing...)

3. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Perhaps contest isnt the right word, more a drawing.

Have people submit thier names and contact info, and on a certain date *enough time to do the family portrait and get the prints back in time for mothers day* draw a name and they win a portrait by me. its not a photographer photo contest.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah, OK. I get what you mean now. Like a raffle expect they don't pay for the tickets.

That makes a lot more sense...lol!

EDIT
    I see business doing this all the time, I don't really see why it wouldn't work for you.

5. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    im just concerned the drawing would have to be in a public place or something. I dont really have anywhere to do that, since I do photography on location. :)

6. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Try and rent a cheap studio for the promotion? Or get permission to set up in a local park, etc.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    you could also try running it as part of a local fair or event - maybe book a small space for yourself and a setup and shoot portrate shots (for cost) over the day but also have a raffle along side with the prize being a free session (don't end it right at the end of the day though most people have left and you will want to go home too - early afternoon is about best - enough time for people to sign up and enough time for you to shoot comfortably - plus most people have not left yet)
    You could adapt similar even if its just you shooting ina park or something.

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If properly done, it could fill that studio quite nicely.

A few conditions:
    - any winner has to be present at the drawing to accept the prizes
    - they have to leave full contact info
    - a previous winner cannot win again for a period of 12 months

I get all kinds of marketing ideas. Imagine having 30-50 people in a rented studio... before the drawing have a 15 min presentation about who you are and what you do. Maybe have a couple models and setups ready to demo your skills and show the results. After the demo... do the drawing and take a few pics of the winners!

Now do one every 3-4 months.

I did something like this about 20 years ago but I was showcasing my networking and teaching skills at a computer trade show. I picked up 20 new clients in 30 min of my time... but I was well prepared and had a VERY polished routine down by then.

To do this:
    - you'd better be a good photographer.
    - you'd better be a good presenter and public speaker.
    - you'd better be ready, preparation is 99% of the game.

Like I often say... the business of photography has VERY little to do with pressing the shutter button.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I consider myself a pretty good photographer. Everyone seems to like my portraits, however I do see a lot of areas that I can improve, but time and practice will hopefully solve that.

Im not the best public speaker. I do tend to speak fast, and I have an accent to the people here, since I moved down here from up north.

I was thinking about doing a 2nd one of these after mothers day, and team up with a local library. Have them collect tickets for something like $1, $3 or maybe $5 per ticket. That money would go to a fund raiser for something, dont know yet. And get the library to hold one of my portraits and my information as well. I figure I can get alot of public awareness from this. They already do similiar fund raising, but not for photography that I have seen.

I was hoping to do that after mothers day, but perhaps I should forget doing the first one on my own and do just the library one.

I realized I should ad some stipulations to the ad, for starters state where the portrait will be taken. Otherwise they could ask me to drive hours away to take it. :)

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless they are within a few miles, they come to you... matter of fact, they should always come to you. That is where having a "home base" or access to a professional level studio on a rent per session basis is important.

Watch that public speaking, it can make or break the event. Can you demo in front of a room full of people?

Some of the world's finest photographers cannot not speak publically well enough to give away their services for free. That is why I said the business of photography has very little to do with pressing a shutter... it is about selling.

11. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :thumbup:

12. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really dont like to use a studio. You do get more control over the lighting, but I like to have the client interact with the surrounding environment outdoors. I will probably get a studio eventually for the winter months and bad weather days.