Marketing Ideas

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I always donate a few framed prints every year to various charity and fund raising auctions, and I've donated gift certificates for portrait sessions by me. Depending on the organization, I figure there are enough folks at and involved with the auction to get some pretty good word of mouth, and you always get thanked in the newsletters they send out.

Also for me it's a lot easier to donate prints or services of some value than actual cash money. In the US you can deduct the cost of materials donated from your taxes; you can't really get anything for your time, but heck, I got time for a good cause.

I was just approached by an organization that helps foster children about photographing the kids on the day Santa comes to visit. They offered to pay me, but I said I'd do it for free (they'll have to buy the prints, but I'll only charge what the lab costs). I figured it would be my holiday good deed.

Turns out that they always take out a big advertisement in all the local papers around Christmas to thank all the folks that donate money and services around the holidays so I'll end up getting pretty good local advertising for free, plus there will be a reporter at the event, and I'll probably get covered in the article, and possibly the paper may use one of my photos for the article. I'm gonna go take pics of kids and Santa, and get a whole lot of free advertising.

Some of the other places I've donated stuff to are: local arts organizations, battered womens' shelters, health issues (cancer, aids, etc...), and the Humane Society (stray pets). I'm going to start donating prints for the local PBS fund raising auctions, and then hopefully I'll even get TV advertising (even though I wonder if most PBS viewers actually watch the pledge drives :lol: ).

Anyway, donating your prints/services can be a good way to get cheap publicity.

Anyone else got good marketing ideas for us starving artists?

Nothing that's going to top what I just read. I am very impressed. It takes a lot of time to do what you've been doing; so, sure - get some free advertising and publicity, but it's also just flat-out good karma. :goodvibe:

I think you're swell. More power to you on this upcoming seasonal shoot. :cheer:

And, um....no, sweetie. No one watches pledge drives. :wink:

A week or two ago I saw some info on a local organization that was having a silent auction and needed donations, and I thought of donating a print, but I didn't have time to really get anything together, because the auction was like 5 days from when I saw it. But it is definitely a great idea and something I would love to do in the future.

Great ideas, Matt!

If you have fine art type images, or those that shop owners wouldnt mind displaying, you could mount some prints and have them hung up. Offer them a commision of say 5-10%. Not only will you get recognition but if you're lucky enough you might actually sell some :)

Cafe's and bar's generally seem to give the best response, in London at least.

Solarize said:
If you have fine art type images, or those that shop owners wouldnt mind displaying, you could mount some prints and have them hung up. Offer them a commision of say 5-10%. Not only will you get recognition but if you're lucky enough you might actually sell some :)

Cafe's and bar's generally seem to give the best response, in London at least.

Where I live most places (bars, books stores, coffee shops, etc...) will let you hang stuff, and not take any commission. They figure it helps draw folks in, makes their joint look hip.

I'm extremely impressed by what you wrote here. lol. I even didn't think about that. My only advertisement is my web site and I have its url written on my car ...

ksmattfish said:
Some of the other places I've donated stuff to are: local arts organizations, battered womens' shelters, health issues (cancer, aids, etc...), and the Humane Society (stray pets).

How exactly did you donate to the battered women's shelter? I work at one, and have wondered a lot about how I could incorporate my photography into this.

We have done some free giveaways but not nearly what you have. I think it is a great tool and is also makes you feel good about donating your skills.

core_17 said:
How exactly did you donate to the battered women's shelter? I work at one, and have wondered a lot about how I could incorporate my photography into this.

They had an auction of donated goods and services. I gave a gift certificate for a portrait session, but I could have donated a print, I suppose. I didn't go to the auction, so I don't really know much about that. I got a letter in the mail from the shelter saying it was purchased for $90, but so far the purchaser hasn't contacted me about it.

Wow. I don't yet have a good enough set-up to do portrait sessions, but what I was thinking about doing when I do is offering the mothers (I work with the kids) super cheap portrait sessions. I can't quite afford to pay for all the processing and such, yet, on my own! But, we'll just have to wait until I get better equipment! :)

my idea is simple... but whenever i go to baby showers and stuff (especially for people i don't know well) instead of giving a gift, i give a photo gift certificate. its cheap but impressive (because the cost is lower than the value) and it gets the word out there. the more you do, the more people hear about you.

There is a local (to me anyway) stray cat rescue organization that is holding its annual "arts for animals" silent auction this weekend. I'm gonna take everyone's suggestions and donate 4 prints.

Everyone cross their fingers that they get good bids!

I got these two links from someone who works for Comstock.com

1. BLACKBOOK
Black Book Photography is the incomparable and original sourcebook for the creative industry

2. WORKBOOK
Workbook.com is the most comprehensive site on the Internet with over 60,000 listings to service the graphic arts industry. You will find it to be a great place to promote your business and/or services. Directory listings are free of charge....

Looks like its a great place for those who are seeking to enter the commericial arena.

- Pens/pencils, mug, calender and stuff like that.

- I think Cards would be a good idea.... Birthday, seasonal...of course with a photograph from the portfolio.

I personally don't keep track of any cards that I receive. But I often check my calender. A catchy calender IMO is always a great tool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back