Marketing Ideas

I'm doing a photo session at the local halloween carnival this week. snapping the kids in their costumes against a greenscreen, then applying a cutesy; cartoony halloween themed background composite along with various physical props (spider/skull). It's almost a donation at about $2 for a 5X7.

I allow the local Chambers of Commerce to use my photos in thier publications and web site as long as my name is credited at the photo. Lots of businesses and visitors see these. I also do some free work at a local modeling school to get the kids some practice in a studio environment (I take my lights/background/props to the school). I get a model release signed by them and parents if minors, and burn thier photos onto a CD so they can review. They also use the photos for comp cards and local ads. And...I get a lot of practice in a short time, 500-900 shots in about 3 hours.

here's another suggestion for marketing tips - something I just got finished with - Marketing 101. Good class, not so great instructor.

Matt, those are really good ideas and you're a very generous person for doing them.

Mindy, you should mark your 2005 calendar for the event next year. Give yourself a reminder a few months before so that you start working on prints. :)

ksmattfish said:
Where I live most places (bars, books stores, coffee shops, etc...) will let you hang stuff, and not take any commission. They figure it helps draw folks in, makes their joint look hip.

A late response i know but.... what sort of return do yet get when you do it? (if you have done it :) ).
If you print and frame a number of images, give them to bars etc and then dont sell any, you're at quite a loss. So people get the pleasure of seeing your work, and you get exposure as a good artist but materials arent overly cheap.

People interested in architectural photography may want to contact local architectural and engineering firms.

Most reactions

Back