Marketing Question of the Day 3-6-07

You can only charge what your market can bear. My typical booking in Dallas is up around $3200, however if I were in Iowa, it would be a completely different story. People in the UK are amazed at what we make over here in the US.

Having said that, you must define both who you are marketing to, and your skill level of those already in your local business. Study every website and pricing structure of photographers in your area, be realistic about your skills, and then price accordingly. Even if your prices are marginal to high, being of good value is key. Don't be afraid to charge what is reasonable, but also be careful not to price yourself out of the market. Give just one more percieved value than the next guy, and you will book constantly. People don't just want talent, they also want what they perceive is of value.

Know who your target client is. My clients are artistic types with professional jobs, in their mid twenties. Being not so artistically inclined, and self employed in my mid fourties, I had to go to people like my target client and fine tune my presentation. If I were selling to traditional folks in thier thirties, I'd be doing something else entirely, marketing-wise.

So to sum up, know your area market, your target client, and your skill level.........then market using those fields.

I think a starting point is to check what others in your area are charging. You don't want to price yourself out of your market and you really don't want to undervalue yourself.

I took a wedding photography course last fall. The instructor asked the class to list what factors should NOT affect how we set our price. We came up with things like; number of people in the wedding party, age of the couple, attractiveness of the couple, time of day, etc.
The answer that he was looking for, was experience. If you are good enough, there is no reason you should charge less because you are less experienced.

Still, a lot of people charge less than they would like for their first weddings or first year etc. I think maybe this is a confidence issue as much as anything else.

It seems to hold true for many photographers...that they are much more successful when they raise their prices. Many even book more weddings after raising them.

Hey... you're the newsletter guy.... you tell us. Realy.... isn't that what you do?
What does that have to do with anything? I'm just trying to stimulate some discussion... that, frankly, should benefit all of us.

Do you find something wrong with getting opinions from various people? Personally, that's part of how I learn.

Sorry to have offended you.

Sorry, Cindy... I was just feeling a little bit attacked, and wasn't sure why.

I really am just trying to be helpful.

Do you find something wrong with getting opinions from various people? Personally, that's part of how I learn.

Sorry to have offended you.

Oh... no, no, no... not offended... not even a little bit! Sorry if I came across that way. And no attack intended... sorry for that. My sense of humor is sometimes a bit twisted.

Pete

Pete:

Twisted is good... I'm fairly new to this forum, and it's going to take me a while to figure out all the personalities. :wink:

Most reactions

Back