marking posts as solved?

Kathleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a place to mark your post solved? If not, maybe a thought for the future.

Is there a place to mark your post solved? If not, maybe a thought for the future.

You mean mark as read??? At the very bottom, just under the last forum there are two links....one for marking all posts as read, and one for viewing forum leaders. That will mark ALL posts as read though.

I think she means marking like a thread with a question about a problem they're having as "Already fixed" so people know they've gotten the answer they need. But maybe not. :)

Yes that is what I mean. I belong to another forum and when my question is answered I mark it as such. This also allows others searching the posts to see that there is an answer to the question.

Yes that is what I mean. I belong to another forum and when my question is answered I mark it as such. This also allows others searching the posts to see that there is an answer to the question.

What if the answer that's given is incorrect? There's also lots of incorrect information and bad advice given on forums.

What if the answer that's given is incorrect? There's also lots of incorrect information and bad advice given on forums.

Others might disagree, but I am thinking the same way EOS_JD is....

...there may very well be more than one correct answer.....and MUCH of what is posted on this forum isn't asking for a definitive answer, anyway, but rather for opinions.

Others might disagree, but I am thinking the same way EOS_JD is....

...there may very well be more than one correct answer.....and MUCH of what is posted on this forum isn't asking for a definitive answer, anyway, but rather for opinions.

Yes Corry didn't think of that. Sometimes there can be 2, 3 or more correct answers. :)

When I post I try to be as accurate as possible and I see many people before me give wrong info (although they believe it to be true because that's what someone else said). This is particularly true of subjects like resolution and printing.

I like the idea but just not sure how it would work......

...there may very well be more than one correct answer

when the question is, 'will this lens fit this body?'. there is only one correct answer.

when the question is, 'if my iso is __ and my aperture is __, how do i determine my shutter speed? there is only one correct answer (and even that question leaves a lot of room depending on subject matter)

MUCH of what is posted on this forum isn't asking for a definitive answer, anyway, but rather for opinions.

'MUCH of what is posted'....i'd go so far as to say most.

i don't think there are many posts that would qualify as being 'solved' or 'no solution'.

i think your intent is valid, but would seriously damper the breadth and depth of the insight of those that post in these forums. this is a share and learn atmosphere and i appreciate it as such. marking something as solved immediately dissuades anyone else from contributing, let alone reading a post marked as 'solved.'

I guess I didn't explain myself. I was assuming that posts are archived so to speak. We can scroll through the old ones, just as a read or in need of an answer. And yes there can and often is more than one answer, as well as incorrect ones. In another forum the method of marking solved I find useful. When searching for an answer, the first place I look is through the old solved postings. Then if not content, I post. I find that I learn stuff that I wouldn't ever think of. But my main reason for asking is because I wanted to make certain that there isn't a "please do" of marking our posts as solved to keep things neat. That's all, nothing more.

Either way. But as I said I was only asking so as to be certain that it wasn't something that the moderators wanted us to do. Nothing more.

I wish there was a way to mark posts as "I've read this and won't be interested in any future contributions."

I suspect the very best way is for the original poster [question-asker] to take time to add a 'Yup. That did it!' final reply to the thread.

Most reactions

Back