Markw's D800 Review Thread.

When are you going to send me your old camera body?

More test shots. Most above ISO1250. Sorry guys, there has been some noise reduction done. I have this obsession for having silky smooth images. I guess this is something I'm going to have to forget about after around ISO1600 (or maybe before). The pixels are simply packed so tight together, they're almost more visible. Now, mind you, I understand this isn't the D3s we're talking about here. But, I would give anything for the images to be just a bit more smooth. I'll post a few unedited samples at the end to show you what I mean.

All images taken with Nikon D800 and Sigma 180mm F/3.5 EX DG HSM APO IF Macro

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

Now for the resolution-testing shots.

DSC_0150.jpg

100% crop:
DSC_0150_crop.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

100% Crop
DSC_0157_crop.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

100% Crop
DSC_0158_crop.jpg

DSC_0163-1.jpg

100% Crop
DSC_0163_Crop.jpg

Mark

nice, great review, my local brick and mortar called on monday saying my pre-order had arrived and I picked it up tuesday. I've been way busy and haven't had a chance to really test it out. but so far I agree about it feeling small...I'm used to a D3s though, so I expected it to be a little smaller, I'll have to see how it goes when I've used it more. I've literally only taken 4=5 shots with it and haven't really had a chance to look at them.

good test images...

nice posts,
Im going crazy waiting for my pre order to come in :grumpy:

I am a little underwhelmed by the test images. The higher ISO examples are not that diff than the D700. I would like to see the originals, and also some tripod shots using ISO 200.

the ISO at 100% image I'm finding it to be similar to the d7000 IMO maybe slightly better, for high ISO I still would rather use a D700, or in my case, my D3s....the ISO benefit you see from places like DXOmark come from standardization of the images which favors large MP....(reducing the huge MP image to compare with smaller MP images also reduces noise)...

you do have a benefit on the other end with the D800 since the low native ISO is 100 vs the old standard of 200...and thats really where you see the large dynamic range and color bit benefits...I think the D800 will shine as a tripod dweller (studio/landscapes) where the low ISO benefits can really show off.

Those 100% crops are nuts. I was planning to buy a D800 for the video backup to my D3s, but now I'm thinking I have to use it for some photos. Great review, Mark.

Well, a bit more photos from yesterday. All of the following were taken with the Nikon D800 and Nikon 50mm F/1.8D.

ISO100
F/2.8
1/2000
DSC_0235.jpg

100%
DSC_0235_100.jpg

200%
*NOTE*: Image was taken at F/2.8. Should I have thought I was going to do a 200% crop, I would have bumped to F/8, and details would have been rendered better.
DSC_0235_200_box.jpg
DSC_0235_200.jpg

ISO500
F/4
1/250
Dynamic range in this one is really where the camera shines. You can't really tell, but the light coming in through the windows was VERY strong. Unfiltered, late evening sun. The kind that throws shadows twice as long as you are tall. That kind of light. And detail is still seen in the highlights. Incredible.
DSC_0250.jpg

100%
DSC_0250_100.jpg

Now, here's the shocker of the day. I took this photo at dark time. It was 100% as dark as it was going to get for the day. No lights on in the truck. I was doing this to test the new AF in the camera. It was a 1.8 lens, however. Either way, it was DARK out. 100% night-time dark.

ISO200
F/2.8
1/50
Photo straight OOC (besides BW conversion)
DSC_0258.jpg

Lightened by 4++ stops in ACR6.9
100% crop
DSC_0258_BW_100.jpg

Spot exposure increase just a bit more on the eye, noise reduction at 50%.
DSC_0258_BW_Edit_100.jpg

And, to my utter amazement, the focus was spot-on! It was hard for even me to see if I had placed the AF selector point at the right spot to get her eye. But, the camera focused on it just fine. It's clearly not the best photo in the world, but not bad considering it's at 100%, and the photo it came from. Incredible, really.

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for the rundown Mark!

Mark great write up and beautiful pics.

A friend told me she has a hard time reaching the aperture preview button on hers then I saw it on dpreview video. Does my friend and the chinese guy on dpreview just have short fingers or is it really in a tough spot?

Most reactions

Back