Marl Springs

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sometimes a desert spring doesn't look like much, 'cause it isn't. Being the only waterhole in 25 miles in any direction, this little seep has saved lives several times in written history.
800-marl-springs-17636465-v2.jpg

So the "spring" is where there are the many plants?
And it is called "Marl"?
Marl is also the name of the town where my children were born ;)

You worked a lot on the colours here, I take it? Could it have drifted a tad to far into the magenta area? It should be warm, no doubt, and have the dawn or dusk feeling to it, but are the dawn/dusk colours out there really this purplish-red? If they are, then all is ok!!! I've never been there, so I really don't know!

So the "spring" is where there are the many plants?
And it is called "Marl"?
Marl is also the name of the town where my children were born ;)

You worked a lot on the colours here, I take it? Could it have drifted a tad to far into the magenta area? It should be warm, no doubt, and have the dawn or dusk feeling to it, but are the dawn/dusk colours out there really this purplish-red? If they are, then all is ok!!! I've never been there, so I really don't know!

The spring is the dark spot to the left of the bush on the right. The two smaller rocks are sitting in the water. It's only about an inch deep. The spring was named either after a Lt. Abermarle (nickname was 'marly') in the U.S. Army, or because of what was described in a soldier's 1854 journal as 'marly' water (the water is cloudy and gray. I didn't taste it, although I normally would).

The color's way out of whack. Three shot hdr, f22 at 2,4 & 8 secs. The sun was behind a high mountain range to the left, but still blowing out the left portion of the sky. I have a velvia software filter I've been playing with, but I think I'm just going to go back a notch and quit fooling with it. It looks alright on the page I shot it for.

http://mojavedesert.net/military/camp-marl-springs.html

Not an art shot for sure, I usually PP and post them, then redo the weirdos like this as I refine the series of pages I'm working on.

Strange how shots like this look to me like I remember it, but probably not how it looked.

lovely scene abraxas....I've used the Velvia process a few times and it does need to be used lightly....maybe a light desat layer after would work well.

lovely scene abraxas....I've used the Velvia process a few times and it does need to be used lightly....maybe a light desat layer after would work well.

I think you're right. Since the filter works on the entire photo I've been masking off portions- Still, it seems things can get too freakish with the twilight hdr's. I'll try desat. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back