Martial Arts

Ooops! I thought the title of this thread was 'Marital Arts'. Don't think I'm far wrong, though.
And I've got a black belt in Origami (no piece of paper is safe) so there

Hi-ya!

Luminosity said:
My sentiments exactly.... men do women absolutely no favours in this area by goin easy on them

Yes, I'm there to assist other people as well as myself in the leanring process. Cutting a woman, or a small guy for that matter, slack, is only hurting them. Now obviously I take it easy on people with lesser experience though. I'm not there kill the noobiez :) LIke I said, based just on what you've said here, I can believe that you were/would be very good at martial arts. You seem to have heart and will, and spunk also.

Luminosity said:
Honestly .... Mike Tyson ...? Holy hell, no :LOL:

LOL, yeah don't get me wrong, with all the training I have I'd have to be paid BIG bucks to fight that guy. But my point was, I'd much rather do it with th etraining I do have than many other arts because I know that, "if" it went the right way, I could take him out in many, many different ways. I could also get my head knocked off along the way though; but, you can't just give up you have to do your best. I thin kin this area, grappling is even better for women than men, because again typically a man attacking a woman DOES grapple with her, hence playing right into her game.

Luminosity said:
I noticed you said "Anthony" so I'm presuming this is not his real name perhaps ....what about surname ? Just curious as to whether I've heard of/know him .....

HIs last name is "Perosh." There are a few pics of him on Elvis' site. I watched him compete many times in this area. It got to the point where he didn't have much competition around here and started going to other states. Eventually he moved back to Australia, and now he and Elvis have a school together. Elvis btw has been on TV many times in PPV events as a fighter; he event fought for the light heavyweight UFC title. He's beaten some very good people. He eventually got mauled by Tito Ortiz, but TIto was much bigger in that fight. Elvis is serious good.

Luminosity said:
Actually Tracy , a lot of what you've said here has given me food for thought. I have been considering rejoining the Taek world but have been eyeing other styles .... without takin any time to learn about any of them. From what you've said about MT and BJJ I am very interested in learning either ( or both ).
My b/f took a look at this thread and agreed with ya ....We were discussin it at lunchtime and he said that ya seemed to know ya s*** ;) , for what its worth.

Thanks. I look at it like, hey, things have just evolved since you and I took TKD. No biggy. The only thing is, like I mentioned, I sure wish I was doing this stuff at 19 instead of 34 :(

Luminosity said:
I forget which styles he has trained in ( will ask him again ) ....I know that he did a lot of wrestling as well , though.

I once heard a guy say about wrestling, "Wrestling IS a martial art." Meaning, people look at it as a pure sport. Yes, it's definitely a asport, but there are MANY, many aspects of it that are very applicable to self defense. If you take a guy down and control him in a real situation, or certainly if you slam the guy, take him down etc., it's OVER. And believe me, at your size, if you used proper technique, you would likely AMAZE yourself at how big of a person you could lift off the ground - and it only takes a few millimeters between their feet and the ground and they'r ein big trouble.

As a quick story... I trained in Tulsa for a while with Mikey Burnett (famous guy, just google his name). I'll never, ever forget this. There was a guy that had been doing Judo for years (which everyone does consider a martial art, and it IS a good one BTW). Mikey wrestled a lot in high school and college so he knew a lot of wrestlers (not to mention Oklahoma is historicaly the top 3 states for it in the US). So one day one of his buddies comes in who wrestled in college. He and the Judo guy (Judo being known for throw) square off and the wrestler shoots in on him, gets a "double-leg" and of course the Judo guy defends. The wrestler guy then lifts him up and turns him, and slams the guy right on his shoulders. My son has wrestled and I helped coach and can tell you that probably 80% of wrestling, all they do is takedowns. They KNOW how to get people off their feet. ANd "you can't kick and punch from your back." I have a lot of respect for wrestling.

Luminosity said:
And as far as 'the better man walks away ' goes .... thats all well and good but I am of the same opinion that sometimes ppl dont let ya walk away ....

Agreed, I think that's what some of the "turn the other cheek" peoeple on this thread don't realize. They just haven't wound up in that situation yet, and it will only take once. I knew a guy in high school I tried to get to train with me, but he wasn't interested much. When a bully beat him up reeeeally bad (it was horrible, I won't get into the details) he then started... too bad he didn't start earlier. Now, if you are someone who is a pacafist like ghandi and refused to fight for philisophical reasons, I have absolutely NO problem with that at all. That's different.

Luminosity said:
No one is telling anyone here to 'live in fear of 'IF'S' happening ' .... hopefully you will never find yourselves in any situation where you are attacked /assaulted etc. Or where you have to come to the aid of a family member/friend.
Ya in a win-win situation by knowing how to defend yourseves ( or loved ones ) , even if ya never have to utilise it against an attacker, the fitness /emotional/mental benefits are fantastic.

Completely agreed... If you take a real martial art, likely you'll be pushed hard and get fantastic physical fitness out of it.

Normally I'm pretty good about going to class 2-3 times/week, but I was out for a week over thanksgiving, then this last week I had a sinus infection. I was kinda nervous about going to class last night, and I like being 100% when I go to class (competitiveness I guess). I actually did great and hadn't lost any endurance.

I'm thinking of doing the tournament in Jan 22 but I'd need to lose about 10-12lbs to be at my natural competition weight, which is tough to do with the resturaunts around here, food being the second most pleasurable thing in life. So not sure if I will or not. Depends on how busy work is also.

Thanks for the words and w/b/s

Most reactions

New Topics

Back