Mass Storage for traveling

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mayariv, Mar 30, 2008.

1. mayariv

mayariv TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

When I travel I can take more then 8GB of pictures a day.
    If I travel for two weeks I would probably need more then 120GB of storage.

I would like to know if there is any mass storage device (250GB and more) that I can travel with and download the pictures directly to it (without the need of a laptop\PC).

10x

2. mayariv

mayariv TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
  4. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Will you be shooting JPG or RAW. The unit you linked says nothing about supporting raw files. I have heard of bad things happening with some of these units that do not support raw. When they are downloaded from the units the files are corrupted. I can't speak to that issue as I use the Epson P-5000.

Since there does not seem to be any viewing capabilities to the unit you posted, I don't know how you would have problems if you shot raw, but something to look into.

5. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    The only time that support for RAW is a question is when the storage unit is also a viewer which much be able to interpret the RAW file for viewing and organizing.

For other image tanks, they are simply a controller, battery, and built-in media card readers. They simply copy the contents of the media card to the hard drive and organized in folders. It doesn't care what it is copying.

My Epson P-2000 doesn't support one of my camera's raw DNG format. I simply set my camera to shoot DNG+jpg. When the files are copied to the P-2000 VIEWER, the DNG files are copied as well but not viewable. Instead, I select the equivalent JPG file for viewing which is supported bythe P-2000. I process the DNG after I get home as I would normally. The Epson P-2000 does support my other cameras, including the Canons. As such, the unit can read and display the CR2 files directly.

My Wolverine on the hand is a simple storage tank. Simply insert the card and press copy. The files are copied to a folder on the harddrive. It doesn't read or interpret the data at all...

6. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    btw... the cheapest route is to get a used image tank, which will be equipped with a smallish harddrive, and upgrade the internal drive to something larger. Be Warned.... do your research first as hacking into certain units might render it unusable.

I wouldn't recommend doing this with the Epson Image tank/viewers although many have done it successfully. The Epson proprietary O/S lives on the harddrive thus a bit more work to make sure that you clone the drive.

The Wolverine is a bit easier... according to some websites. Just swap out the drive and use the Wolverine's menus to format.