Material to mount (w/out frame) that won't warp. Foam vs. Masonite vs. ???

momo034

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to mount a lot of photos I have printed, mostly in size range of of 11x17 (some smaller, some slightly bigger).

I will not frame them, the idea is to hang them from string using mini-clothespins. I live in Barcelona where we have about 70% humidity year round so things do tend to warp. That said I don't need something that is going to last a lifetime. But would be nice if it would last a few years before any warping occurs

So what would be my best option for a material to mount to?

It will be a DIY job, so nothing that requires special equipment or super experience. And also I do have a budget, so if one option is exorbitantly more expensive than another then that might come into play.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I have some two prints of 11 x 16 mounted on 12 x 17 foam core. These were made about 10 years ago and they are still flat. However, they were laminated both sides so I don't know if that helped. I also live in a high humidity climate.

Foamcore will warp if mounted to only one side. Photos mounted on both sides might be best.

From what I know about Masonite, I think it will warp also.

Try to find something plastic and flat. Call your local art galleries and museums.

I obtained some signs used for ads in convenience stores from a friend. They are clean white on one side so make great signs and backing. They are two plastic sheets with a plastic center like a sine wave. About 1/8th+ inch thick and indestructible almost. I can't find any information on what to call the stuff though. I've had some flat on the ground for a year to make a path in the garden and they look new..................Would be better than foam board as it won't warp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back