maturity levels and other forums

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by manda, Aug 25, 2004.

1. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

so this other forum i post at can be very "high school"at times. the ages of people there do start in the teens and pretty much hover in the 20s.

tonight i discovered a 10 page thread asking which chick frm the forum is the "hottest". strangely i was included in the list(this is a forum with 13000 members) and people then wrote about who was hotter than who.
    i didnt reply to the thread because i found it kinda offensive myself.

its really pissed me off and i dont know why. im having a mood tonight, so maybe im just being overly sensitive. yes?

2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Nah, I don't think you're being overly sensitive. That high school type BS gets old. That's one reason why I really like it here. Another forum I go to is ALL politics in the OT forum. That's just about as tedious as high school crap.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    And we don't have any of that here? Any thread with self protraits or "mug shots" is rife with oohs and ahhs, and cat calls, and ogling. I'm not dissing this forum, or anyone on it, but it does go on here too. In general though, this forum is pretty mature, and one of the best I've ever seen in terms of friendly discussion and helpful advice, etc...

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I think the key in that thread that manda mentioned is the "people then wrote about who was hotter than who" part. Yeah we post our self portraits here and congratulate each other on our hotness, but there's none of that 'hey so-and-so is hotter than so-and-so'.

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    She stumbled across a lengthy thread where she was mentioned on a "hottie list" without notice. That's quite different from a thread asking for mug shots, where you can post or not post and of course there is teasing and hubba-hubba stuff going on. There is a difference between camaraderie of this type and a meat market mentality, however. The latter degrades the members, and that is why she found it offensive - aside from being juvenile in presentation.

6. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

Which forum are you talking about? Cus I know one that's just like that.

7. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Apples and oranges. People being nice and commenting on someone's good looks is not the same as asking who is the hottest.

8. carlita

carlita TPF Noob!

there's a section of the site that i moderate on that's FULL of threads like those. who's hotter, who do you have a crush on, who's the meanest/nicest... even who is the ugliest. and the newest incarnation are the "KFM" threads where people are supposed to list the members they would kill, f*ck or marry. :no smile:

luckily, you can avoid such things by staying out of that particular forum and sticking to the others.

9. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Man, what is wrong with people... :x :roll:

10. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

They're immature. Welcome to my world--I see and hear this stuff in the hallways of our middle school constantly.

11. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gives people my age a bad name....in all fairness I may say to other girls *shes nice* perhpaps, but when I say...shes nice, I mean the face, the eyes, the personality.
    I still think what they done is wrong, and Im not sure if im "Highschool" kid.,..but I assure you guys, we aint all like that :) Just have some....*bleep* heads who are just nasty :(

12. santino

santino TPF Noob!

Yeah, we ain't that kind of guys...