Mav's Mentoring & Blog Thread

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Mav, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

4. TheRival

TheRival TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love that last picture and the sense of the future you can see with her shadow being larger then life!

super excited to learn from you Mav!

P.S. Your daughter is beautiful. a bundle of personality it looks like!

5. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't you find the use of a screw-on ND grad filter such as the one above a bit frustrating? With one of those you always have to put the horizon in the middle of the frame (as demonstrated by your examples). I find rectangular ND grads + filter holder much more useful.

6. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    great photos mav. I went on vacation and didnt have quite the same luck. I left my tripod at home. I did have fun shooting in a mission (we were in san antionio). I didnt get anything amazing, kicking myself the whole time for not bringing my tripod. I did think hard about minimal processing when I took the shot and really kept the number of shots down. Thinkin before clickin...my new motto :p It helped that my husband was playing with the kids so I could go all zen on it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! She's actually been a big bundle of larger than life CRABBINESS in the past week, because she's getting four molars in all at once! :confused: :lol:

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't have to park the horizon right dead center in the frame. The gradient is smooth enough that you can get away with putting stuff in the top or bottom third or fourth of the frame and it still looks ok. If you take it beyond that, it's not really a big part of the photo anyways and might not matter too much. I had actually framed a lot of these much lower looking mainly at the waves and beach since there wasn't too much going on in the upper atmosphere to look at. The two I posted just happened to have stuff going on everywhere though, which is why I like them. :)

Here's the very next shot after the one with the bird in it. The horizon is parked there at about the top fourth of the frame and it still looks perfectly natural. This is also straight off the camera shot in JPEG with no editing done . I'll definitely want to fix the barrel distortion on this in DxO later though.

[​IMG]

The Cokin stuff is pretty cool, but you've got to really be big on filters to make it worthwhile including a lot of the special effects stuff. I came pretty close to buying a Cokin filter system once, but thought it'd be too clumsy and annoying so I started off with circular screw-in filters and if I wasn't pleased I'd just get the Cokin stuff anyways. I've never not been pleased with the screw-ins, and they offer me all the flexibility I've needed, so I've never bothered with Cokin stuff.

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice! I like both although the composition seems a bit odd on the second one. I know what it is, but it's tough to get a sense of depth perception and looks a bit flat. Were those both with your 50mm?

My shooting hours were quite family friendly, at least for scenic stuff. From 430 to 630am when nobody was awake yet, and then a whopping 10 minutes from 850 to 900pm. We did all of the play shots earlier in the morning before it go too crowded, hot, and while the light was favorable for photography. Didn't even need my reflector set which made things easier.

10. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I used a rented lens, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. I really missed the IS for low-light because my XTi gets noise above 400ISO...too much noise.

430am? Wow I think I picked up the wrong hobby!!! Someday on vacation I am going to get up early and hit the streets alone. That is going to be my goal when we go to Charleston next month.

11. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a shot from the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon at approximately 1:00am Sunday morning what do you think?

1. 40D, 17-40mm L @ 17, f/4, 80", ISO 800
    [​IMG]

12. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit