Maximum acceptable shutter count on a used body?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shopping for a second camera body to add to my bag, especially since I'm going to be shooting a lot of events this year.

What is the maximum shutter count I should find acceptable on a used body? Along the same lines, what does it typically cost to have the shutter replaced if/when it wears out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the maximum Shutter Life Expectancy for the camera that you don't mention ?
A acceptable shutter count would be some portion of the Life Expenctancy based on the price you are willing to pay. If you don't want to pay much then a camera may have a large percentage used.

So it all depends upon the camera, and how much you want to pay.
Price is based on condition.

I'm looking at a few used D300/D300S/D7000 bodies.

I'm looking at a few used D300/D300S/D7000 bodies.
the other half of the equation is ... What is your budget ?

What features are important to you between the 3 cameras ?
The main difference between (if I recall correctly) the D300 and D300S is the "S" does video.
The D7000 vs d300s are semi vs Pro build quality and features.
and the D300 is older technology vs the D7000.

I'd like to stay under $350 (which these all are) to devote more funds to glass.

I currently shoot a D90 and it does everything I need it to. I just want a second body for peace of mind and to sometimes shoot both bodies with different lenses.

Looking at KEH.com

they all have the same shutter life 150,000

used
D7000 range from $399 to $499
D300s range from $399 - $487
D300 range from $269 to $349

Do you use any of the Advanced Scene Modes on the D90 because I don't think they're on the D300/s.

But if you have access to them I would test them first. And if the price is lower than your $350
and the price is good, and it's not a large % of shutter life then you should be fine depending upon how much you are going to use it.

I was shopping on Adorama, mostly because I have store credit with them.

I don't use the scene modes, ever. I shoot in aperture and manual almost exclusively.

Thanks for the input!

I shop mostly Adorama too
They have 2 under your price range
D300S at $199
D300 at $229

I'd get the D300s as it also have the same CF card as your D90 (if I recall that properly).
The d7000 uses SD cards.

D90 uses SD. The $199 D300S has 225k clicks on the shutter. The customer service rep has an inquiry in to the used dept to get me the count on the $229 unit.

D90 uses SD. The $199 D300S has 225k clicks on the shutter. The customer service rep has an inquiry in to the used dept to get me the count on the $229 unit.

The shutter rating is an average figure & many cameras go way beyond this as can be seen by the D300S which has already exceeded the expected life. According to this there are cameras still working after more than 4M activations. You'll have to judge for your self it the price is worth the gamble.

The shutter rating is an average figure & many cameras go way beyond this as can be seen by the D300S which has already exceeded the expected life. According to this there are cameras still working after more than 4M activations. You'll have to judge for your self it the price is worth the gamble.

There is also the possibility that camera may have already had the shutter replaced at some point. Who knows.

Have you compared the sensor performance on dynamic range and High ISO between say, a 300 or D300s and a much newer sensor camera, like a D3400 or something like that? There was a notable improvement in sensor quality well after the D300 or D300s hit the market.

Have you compared the sensor performance on dynamic range and High ISO between say, a 300 or D300s and a much newer sensor camera, like a D3400 or something like that? There was a notable improvement in sensor quality well after the D300 or D300s hit the market.

I like bigger, heavier cameras and I also really don't want to give up the two command dials, as I spend a lot of my time in manual mode.

Two wheels, yes, the D300 and D300s do have that, while the lower-priced models lack that.

Two wheels, yes, the D300 and D300s do have that, while the lower-priced models lack that.

The other reason that high ISO performance isn't a huge deal to me is that I'm getting heavily into off camera lighting and shooting at low ISO settings as a result. Thank you very much for the reply though! I've learned so much in my short time here. This place is awesome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back